Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Your Favorite Stamp Owned And Why?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 2,514Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 09/02/2021   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add monsterita to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please share what stamp or stamp set in your collection is your favorite and why!

My collection is pretty small, but this is my favorite that I own so far:

I'm drawn to the colors and the vintage style of it
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9925 Posts
Posted 09/02/2021   9:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I love the Art Deco style and the pastels of these Greek airmail stamps.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 09/02/2021   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add monsterita to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are lovely!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7149 Posts
Posted 09/02/2021   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to pick one but I am a sucker for Zeppelins and Soviet stamps and different things and this error of color Russia Scott 23a issued in 1931 which depicts an airship exploring the arctic regions has all three attributes:

Valued Member
335 Posts
Posted 09/02/2021   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Space Twin from 1967. The stamp store I went to as a kid didn't have it in stock for a long time, then one day he did. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 09/02/2021   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This has got to be one of the toughest questions... I thought about this but there are so many great stamps and I like many for different reasons. . Some of this might sound a bit corny... I collect US, so... I don't think I've been happier with a purchase than when I got SC#1, obviously because it was our first regular issue. A bit of National Pride I suppose.

SC# 771/CE1 because I like the design and I love the seal. National Pride Again!

SC# 292 because it's beautiful and I see strength and duty when I look at the artwork: "The vanguard" by the Scottish artist MacWhirter.

Series of 1902 (#300-315) because I like the designs and I do tend to gravitate toward engraved designs.

But then the back of the book offers a lot, particularly in the Private Dies designs...

However the ones I covet the most lately are the Embossed Revenue Stamped Paper, British tax stamps RM15 through RM35, again it's that National Pride thing... (No offense to the Brits reading this.)

Sorry I just can't get it down to one.

That's OK, I can't really pick a favorite single movie, song, food, etc. either. Except maybe bands... I'd have to say Pink Floyd wins overall but even that depends on my mood. In the end, we're each 'tainted' by our own experiences in life.

Just my humble opinion.

Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the design. The image is a floor mosaic from a 6th Century synagogue. The SS is rouletted and divides the sheet into 4 triangular parts.
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like others have already expressed, I would be hard pressed to select a single stamp as my favorite. As to "why" I might like one stamp over another, the reasons would likely vary. In some cases, it is the design or appearance. In other cases it is because there is a story of some kind in the stamp. One stamp that would certainly be a finalist in any selection is my choice of avatar. I tend to favor engraved stamps of bygone years like this one, and it has a story behind it that I am intrigued by (relating to the rold of WWII Commanding General of the Army Air Corps, "Hap" Arnold, considered by many to be piloting the Wright B flyer shown in the stamp). I would give anything -- well, not anything, but a lot -- to have a copy of this stamp on cover.

Edited by blcjr - 09/03/2021 11:04 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
78 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(yes, again) US Scott 1331-2 5c Accomplishments in Space

Got a plate block of these from my mom to kick off my stamp collecting craze as a kid. Too bad my brother and I had to share it, so of course we did the brotherly thing -- cut the plate block up.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
blcjr: That is a good one! As you're probably aware this was the world's first stamp to feature an airplane.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
693 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jconey—those embossed revenue issues from the Stamp Act certainly are a collectors plum. Besides being rare virtually all of the known examples used in North America were used in Canada/Quebec and the like; not the American colonies. There is at least one example that was used in what became West Florida. I am not aware if there have been others.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
funcitypapa: Agreed. US used examples are very rare. I've been watching them for a while.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
810 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, my avatar, of course!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to choose only 1 when there are so many, but I'll go with these two: #573 and C3. Now if only the airplane were inverted......$$$$$

Edited by uboatnut - 09/04/2021 2:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
821 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
[Edit blcjr I sent you an email via the SCF network.]

My favorite is a "Spanish-American" match-up joint issue with artwork by Goya.

Otherwise my favorite philatelic items are not individual stamps but a certain cover, but that is for another thread.

V
v

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 09/04/2021 3:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7629 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
funcitypapa: There is a second example of the colonial America stamps used here as the inside of a cover with a straightline Savannah marking. It was originally written in Jamaica for some property owned by a man who had died in the US, where the document eventually was used. I believe both examples are currently owned by the same collector.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 2,514Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05