Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sept. 3 Quiz: How's Your Eye For Detail?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 773Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EdziuMM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What country/entity issued the stamps with this detail on them?
Two points for the first person to correctly identify it; one point if we need to post an easier version Saturday.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
1986 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read the comments last week and decided not to play anymore (or,to be more exact,I will continue to play but I will keep my answers to myself)
Stay safe!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
61 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Israel?
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vayolene's post prompted me to go back and look at last week's quiz. I had not been aware of the comments that followed my conclusion of that quiz.
It hadn't occurred to me that my quizzes were fomenting ill feelings of cheating among my respondents. I don't want to cause that. Therefore I have decided to end the quizzes. It's been fun for me, but I don't want to cause any ill feelings.

Pillar Of The Community
572 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vayolene's stamp knowledge is quite incredible as I have witnessed first hand with assistance he has provided me on complex Hermes stamps. I have a lot of experience with reverse image searches from past work and it isn't entirely straight forward, especially with a small part of a much larger image as the algorithms struggle with that, even with keywords. Many times he has the answer with the first even smaller image. If he is using reverse image than that is a skill in itself to be able to find the answer with so few pixels of the overall piece.

If you don't believe me, go back and try some of them on Google reverse and tiny eye and aside from being linked to the image here, see how many you can get, especially off the first posted image. I would wager it won't be as many as one may initially think.

Regardless, I would rather open competition and so would prefer if vayolene played.

Sorry to turn this into a debate. To get back on topic, I have no idea but I'll throw Hungary out there.
Pillar Of The Community
572 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dang :(
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
61 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have enjoyed your quizzes every week since I began lurking on this board. I look forward to them every Friday. I almost never know the answer and when I do, someone else has already answered. I think something can be learned by focusing on a small detail and trying to visualize the rest of the picture.

I hope you will reconsider your decision to stop the quiz. Whatever your decision may be, thank you for providing a little entertainment and a chance to learn something every week.

All the best!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
516 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

EdziuMM.

To echo the sentiments of the earlier posters, ask that you reconsider your decision to halt your weekly quizzes. Obviously you're aware of the quiz popularity, evidenced by the many comments made during your recent time off.

While I rarely know the correct answer (and even when I do am not the first to respond), I look forward to each installment. Yes, Vayolene is often first to chime in. However, this has no impact on my enjoyment of the quizzes.

Have been a beneficiary of Vayolene's considerable philatelic knowledge. Which is one of the many aspects which makes SCF enjoyable.

In any event, thank you for your considerable contribution to the Forum.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does typically end quite quickly in most cases. Perhaps a change in the contest format is in order? Just an idea but maybe not a very good one. Post the image as usual, however ask that no one respond until Sunday during a limited period of time. Maybe a 4 hour window? Then, everyone who guesses correctly gets the points instead of only one person.

As I said, just an idea. Maybe it will lead to a better idea...
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, using a combination image search, in conjunction with intelligent key words searches, can produce the answer quite often.

Cheating? In my opinion this is not cheating in any way. In fact, in many ways it requires a significant amount of 'search' understanding and experience. How is that any different than requiring understanding and experience with stamps? Being proficient at online searches is quite an important ability in our hobby. (And if we would promote this ability more folks would be able to quickly find those stamps which they often ask about.)

EdziuMM, I told you about this in a email at least a year ago and I also mentioned it at that time publicly.

In reviewing the posts last week, where a person asked 'How is it even possible for someone to know such random stamps so well'; I thought it reasonable to reply. That way, if others wanted to hone their online searching skills they could.
Don
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   4:30 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the double post, but this is getting me angry as I think about it.

First, no one said that Vayolene, or anyone else, was using this method.

Second, how is using an online search any different than cracking open a catalog and looking some stamps up? If some folks were searching catalogs to get the answer also be consider cheating?

Is not the part of the point of the contest to engage folks in the hobby? If so and if a person searches for the answer (however they do it) is that not engaging them?
Don

Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hadn't thought of image searches as "cheating," but I did get the feel that what's transpired meant that there might be an implicit feeling among some of my respondents that others were "cheating." I don't want to cause such divisiveness.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
365 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought we were all playing for second place. I admire Vayollene's skill and knowledge and will miss the opportunity to watch him do his thing. One thing that might be interesting is to have the winner write a short post on how they guessed correctly. I know my wins have come from either knowing the stamp, an educated guess as to where to look, and flat out stab in the dark.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7119 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EdziuMM - Please reconsider. I love the quiz's. I have only gotten a couple first but winning is not the point. It is just fun. I never use image searching because I am old school (internet numpty) and definitely do not search through 12,000 pages of Scott catalog. I try and narrow it down based upon my knowledge and plain old guessing. The how means nothing to me. Why would it even matter?
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
668 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel I started it, by posting a comment after the quiz ended, and starting an argument.
I only meant to compliment vayolene, not criticize him. For me, in this game, vayolene is an NBA player in the kids league.
Please, vayolene and EdziuMM, get back to the game and get the game back, a game to which I am addicted.
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 09/03/2021   5:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion 10% of this situation is that this contest has always had multiple ways to arrive at the answers and 90% of this situation has been an over-reaction. (I think that 'I am taking my stamps and going home' is an over-reaction.)

Many folks do not want to simply post a WAG and look silly. So instead they might have an idea but then seek to verify what they think before posting. The verification step sends them to searching before posting a possible answer to the puzzle.

Searching for the answer, whether it is in a catalog or online, is done in the exact same way. Say the image fragment shown an island or palm trees, that can help narrow down your search to countries with these attributes. You start your catalog lookups to island countries. Ditto for image searches, you do not simply let the search engine use the image fragment, you also add keywords like 'island', 'palm', or even the name of certain island countries. You start narrow and broaden your search if you do not find the answer.

This contest and thread had the opportunity to teach and educate, the over-reactions are not productive or helpful.

I am leaving this thread open in hopes that folks will reconsider and that moving forward others can become more proficient with their searching skills (if they desire) with future contests.

But if the plug gets pulled than so be it, the drama is a time suck.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 773Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05