Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Modern Stamp Perforation Hole Size Differences

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,207Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
3538 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jogil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There appears to be a difference in size of the perforation holes for the 13.1 gauge perforators used by CBN and AP.

Scott/Unitrade 1369 (CBN) larger perforation holes and 1369i (AP) smaller perforation holes

Scott/Unitrade 1369 (CBN/HP) larger perforation holes and 1369i (AP/CP) smaller perforation holes

This may also apply to many other such related modern stamps.
Send note to Staff
Edited by jogil - 09/04/2021 08:28 am

Pillar Of The Community
7686 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Jogil
I never even thought about looking for those differences...GREAT find.
Now you pulled me into looking for perforations on newer stamps.

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3538 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The same also applies to gauge 13 x 13.3 perforations from AP and CBN perforators.

Scott/Unitrade 1674 (AP), 1674i (CBN) and 1674ii (CBN). The perforation holes are smaller on the AP perforations.
Pillar Of The Community
7686 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil
Is this apparent in only later stamps...??...Wonder how far back these new oddity goes..???

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6805 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How is this an "oddity"? One printer used one type of perforation and another printer used another type of perforation. A variety perhaps but not that odd. No?
Pillar Of The Community
7686 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good finds Jogil

I looked at a few more

Scott 1364 - Aston-potter Limited - 13.1 x 13.1 - {small perf. holes}
Scott 1368 - Aston-potter Limited - 13.1 x 13.1 - {large perf. holes}

Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33054 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice research Jogil !
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, never tought of that before but AP or CDN just use punching tools of different sizes and probably withing the same compagny as well, who knows. The trick here is to find this difference on a stamp withing the same Scott # to have something of interest.

Pollux
Pillar Of The Community
3538 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam: This perforation hole size difference may add another way of identifying the different printers and their stamps even when the perforators and their perforation gauges are the same, especially for mint and used single stamps.

wert: It may go back to around when AP and CBN were printing similar sheet stamps possibly starting in 1989 with the Berries, Fruit and Flag stamps.

wert: Scott/Unitrade 1364 (AP) compared to 1364i (CBN), Scott/Unitrade 1368 (AP) only with no CBN. Do you have any pics of these comparisons?

rod222: Thanks.

Pollux: This may also be a possibility with regards to just within one printer. These hole size differences may help in distinguishing between the two different printers, especially regarding mint and used singles.
Edited by jogil - 09/05/2021 08:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6805 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perf holes may not be the same but the colors are notably different as well. The CBN 1369 is very much darker/deeper in tone and all three of the 1674's are different from one another. Not a scanner issue since each Unitrade numbered issue was done in one scan.
Pillar Of The Community
3538 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This perforation hole size difference is about adding another observation into the mix.

Scott/Unitrade 1372 (Ashton Potter) 13.1 small holes and 1372i (Canadian Bank Note) 13.1 large holes.
Edited by jogil - 09/05/2021 09:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
7686 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my...
Scott 1364 - Aston-potter Limited - 13.1 x 13.1 - {small perf. holes}
Scott 1368 - Aston-potter Limited - 13.1 x 13.1 - {large perf. holes}

Took picture from two 4 strip stamps.
I can see the perf hole size difference, but in the middle, the perf holes line up.
Robert

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, I do not understand what you are trying to show. You took two different stamps - not the same issue?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
7686 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ah..never mind..will move onto some thing else..Have a good day guys
Stay safe..
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
3538 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert: Do you have any other Scott/Unitrade 1368 that you could compare it against? Also, could you scan all of the four 1368 stamps that you have together?
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil,

Unitrade says 1372 is perf 14.4 x 13.8 which accounts for the smaller perf holes.
(1372i is indeed perf 13.1)

Peter
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,207Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05