Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting The World

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 526Next Topic  
Valued Member

19 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add InforaPenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd like to point out a newly published stamp article on different approaches to Collecting the World in Linn's (now online, with printed copies being mailed to subscribers). The title is:

"If you want to collect the world, find a way to make it work for you" in Linn's Stamp News, September 20, 2021 (monthly issue) pages 103-106. The subtitle for the article is "a representative collection of stamps from around the world might help you discover intriguing new collecting areas to pursue."

Discussion (with illustrations) includes Scott International versus Minkus Supreme Global albums, plus the addition of extra pages for multiples, items on piece, etc.

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5516 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"make it work for you " is the most important learning part, that is because it is developed over time . No two collectors do the same thing .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9769 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   08:12 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems our hobby has quite a bit of 'make it work for you' such as poor quality modern hinges, costly and restrictive preprinted albums, catalogs that do not reflect actual market values.

Perhaps given the competition for leisure time our hobby should seek to do better than 'make it work for you'.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5835 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   08:27 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That doesn't look quite like the French pages from the average worldwide album - may be more likely to alarm than inspire
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5516 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What you start with as a worldwide collector is very rarely the way your collection developes over the years . There is a big learning curve as your collection expands and your interest are refocused .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Comment from floortrader about how "collection develops" is really a perfect nutshell summary for my collection and, I would guess, those of many others. Well said.

I have gone from worldwide as a kid ... to U.S. and Canada .. to covers of all sorts .. to many topics ... some postal history, etc. But I missed the World so have gone back to basically collecting many countries, but just what moves me. Could be a single stamp, a set (or 5 or 6), a series, classics, modern, a range of Scott numbers ... it's whatever I like.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
699 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it's whatever I like.

Indeed.
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 09/07/2021   02:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AstroCachet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've only been collecting for a short while, but I have developed quite a few interests already. For me, I'll come across a stamp or postmark that I find interesting. Then, I get sucked down the rabbit hole of wanting to understand the issuing country at the time of issue. I recently did this with Romania. Wow, that's a cool fascist stamp. What's the story behind it? I have my favorite areas (Austria & Belgium), but I don't want to limit myself when there's a lot of interesting things to learn. It helps that I have very little interest in completion.

Edit: I ended up learning a bit about Romanian history (which, I have to discover to be quite interesting) all because of a stamp! I guess I view stamps as a means to an end.
Edited by AstroCachet - 09/07/2021 02:48 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 526Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05