Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting The World

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,872Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CONKER --I would like to read that site ,can you please post how I can go there and read about their discussion.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by floortrader - 05/22/2022 6:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader, I don't want to break any rules here, but I remember some years ago the mods didn't want this site mentioned?
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing that it must be a stamp business-related site/blog. Interesting Idea though. I would love to see the path 77 collectors took to reach that level... probably all differently! 314K is impressive (wonder how many albums/binders that would take?)
Learn More...
United States
10541 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   03:07 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Surely no stamp collector would exaggerate how many stamps they have on an anonymous online website!

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3403 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know the website where the stats are available. The stats info lists member name (usually a real name but could be a pseudonym), contact information, totals in collection, totals on swap, and totals on wish list based upon listing in site database. It shows too much information to me especially since you do not have to pay to sign in as a member.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/23/2022 06:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For new readers and new collectors here -------- Not everybody understands or reads these numbers the same .

Let me explain . Having 100,000 stamps in a collection is not the same as 100,000 all different stamps . Then I would add the words "mounted " meaning they are organized in albums or stockbooks . So if we have a discussion about 50,000 all different worldwide collection ,I think in terms of a group of albums with all different stamps .

I know for a fact because I seen hundreds of huge collections come on the market over the past 50 years that some 50% to 75% of worldwide collections are just a mess of albums ,boxes and stockbooks that is better called a accumulation NOT A COLLECTION. .

People like to call 15 black trash bags filled with cheap worldwide on paper stamps in their garage or basement a collection .

When collectors come on a stamp chat room and say I have XXX,XXXX amount of stamps ,I have a bad habit of offering $1,000 cash to come over ,yes drive over to see the collection . Then with that offer they disappear or say something like "others can see it but you can't " . A interesting side note here the major stamp auction houses do know who has these massive collections . Because it takes years of buying to build them and also look for those unusual country collections to build it .

In closing if I don't see these words "all different " "mounted " then your just .....as DON said your just exaggerating .
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6461 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   08:10 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whilst I'll do a reasonably accurate count if I'm selling an album on eBay, the thought of pulling out dozens of albums and counting the contents isn't a pleasant one. When I was a kid, I'd count the stamps in my album and note the number on the flyleaf, but now ?
Life's too short.
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a challenge to provide a count of unique stamps. Do varieties such as color, perfs, and paper count as unique?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We had a discussion here of building a 100,000 different worldwide collection filled with cheap stamps . Some where you run into a big problem with trying to do this .

The problem is you are buying too many duplicates . Let me explain it this way ----after about the fourth or fifth mixture lot or auction lots of purchased worldwide collections ,you hit a wall of only getting a small percentage of stamps that you don't already have , in other words you just piling up much more dup's than stamps your adding to your collection .

another problem with building a massive worldwide collection is that you ,no longer add one stamp to your collection at a time . You can't be opening a album to mount one stamp . You need to mount groups at a time if you are working on France , you want to be adding a few dozen or maybe a hundred stamps at one sitting . Another factor is you can't pick up a album and open it up to add one stamp because you maybe already have it and this becomes a waste of time when your looking to add it to your collection .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nick ---Everybody has their own standard as to what to add to their collection . I have no problem with the standard each person uses but the problem comes when I look at a collection and I see no notes or markings saying "shade variety " or "perforation 11x 11 1/2 and perf 12" or "watermak X" ,What I see 3 or 4 stamp all the same and no notes or pencil markings then it looks like a holding spot for duplicates and lowers the value of a collection .
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The collection I have began in early 1990s with a small number of worldwide stamps in a 1947 International Part I from my Aunt. There were probably 2000 stamps with some duplicates. Many were mounted with gooey tape. I saved what I could and put most into stock books and left some still in the album to this day.

The collection was added to about 8 years ago with a gift through my daughter that came with probably 8000 to 10000 more stamps that I didn't really attempt to organize. One of the albums is a late 1960s Scott Gold Award with pretty much all the post-1940 stamps still inside.

Up to this point, I never really tried to get a handle on what I had.

Then, 2.5 years ago now, I acquired this rather large "accumulation" that in my estimate is 200000 stamps. There are definitely thousands upon thousands of duplicates, especially heavy in U.S. and a high amount in Germany. Obviously I don't know (yet) how many are unique. And I may never get the accurate number.

But... my remounting project is simple...

Steiner pages (corrected as needed) to follow Scott worldwide catalog major numbers (2019 classic and 2012 standard). I don't mount any duplicates (with the exception of some parallel pages for used vs unused) and mark every stamp that is not the obvious one for the space on the page. At times, I will create additional pages for minor varieties and make it clear that they are those varieties. I have pretty much completed this effort for 1840 to 1940, with British Commonwealth to 1952 and many of the French colonies into the mid 1940s. There are some other countries that I took further, but the majority are small amounts of stamps.

I have also been thinning out the set of International binders (12 or so) to remove all duplicates. What will be left are all unique and none are the same as what I remounted on Steiner pages. These binders go from 1940 to 1973 and are very full. I plan to do a count in the near future.

Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NicolasC paints a good picture of a collection building through time (a learning process for sure!) To put Scott numbers on Steiner printouts is well suited for someone who has been doing this awhile! I found that a very common way for people to build their collections is to find a dealer that is willing for you to go though an album and pick what they want for some cost per stamp (usually 5 cents to a dime). The only thing more precious than money is time and I've found this to be a good time-saver. The two collectors that completed the Scott Internationals though Part 11 used this approach, only in their case they would get collections in albums that came into Superior Stamps and they would take out what they needed at some percentage of Scott. Like Floortrader says, this is for all different mounted stamps.
Edited by landoquakes - 05/24/2022 12:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I was a kid, I'd count the stamps in my album and note the number on the flyleaf, but now ?

When I was a kid, I counted my stamps with a little plastic "clicker" and clicked new additions as they arrived. I stopped doing it around 4000 or 5000, or around the age of 12.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6461 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   01:25 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sophisticated. Plastic hadn't been invented when I was a boy, of course.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
671 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   03:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bakelite was developed in 1907 just how old are you?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,872Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05