Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting The World

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 58 / Views: 3,746Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
does anybody know what WW country letter A-Z is most valuable?

I would guess 'G' first. Thinking outside the box, however, I gotta give 'B' some credit ("B", as in British Guyana, and then 'British...everything else')

Quote:
Yes I am selling 10-12 items from the collection each week with "from 38 Vol Scott Intern Collection" in the title.
I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I've even seen the lots with your description that they came from a 38 album collection. D'Oh! I believe I even currently have a bid or two on some of the lots. I will have to pay more attention to my 'favorite sellers'!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5958 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As with any large or massive worldwide collection ,there a certain factors at play for any serious buyer .

First is it complete as a worldwide collection or has countries been removed ?

Then is it neat and well organized ,is it layed out to follow a catalog .

Then your looking to see what it has in pre-1940 .

Important to me is complete sets,then are the sets all mint or used . Mix sets have little interest to me .

Buying a collection that just fills the holes on the album page means a lot of broken sets plus it is the lower value stamps.

I look at catalog values but that can be played with by putting a lot of Sand Dunes and modern Africa

Another factor is hard to get countries ,those are countries that are not seen often .....telling me you got lots of British ,Germany ,Hungary ,Romania and Poland sure that 30,000 stamps but try selling it more than 5 cents each ,good luck with that .

It is not easy to estimate a bid for a worldwide collection without sitting down and reviewing it page by page because we all know most collectors favor a few countries and the rest could be packet material and a few dozen scans can fool you in thinking the whole collection looks like that .

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5958 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MOOTERMUTT ------- Agree with you when you said "the mass was there,but the quality didn't go as high up the scale as the mass did . " That is the problem with most of these 38 volume or larger collections .

Kelleher had a collection a few years ago up for auction that cataloged at $600,000 and sold close $100,000 ,They did state it had a lot of better material that can be sold as seperate lots .

So a standard can be established when talking about these huge massive collections .

The first or top level is that it has stamps or sets that can be sold as seperate auction lots .

The second level is collections that seperate or parts can be broken out as country collections or seperate sections like just semi-postal or just the airmail sections and sold seperate

The lowest level is were it is all sold as a collection and then getting 5 cents or up to 15 cents per stamp for the whole collection like the Kelleher lot 1881 which is discussed here as getting 14 cents per stamp with no description or details .
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thinkstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have my world collection (which includes US) in Scott specialty albums. Only US goes to 2011. Most countries stop in 1960's. Some go to 1970s, a few go to 1985, and 3 stop in 1950s (I haven't been able to get the pages).

When I retired 6 years ago, I thought I would see how many different stamps I have. Being conservative I estimated 25,000. My wife said 'dearie you have a lot more than that'. She said with all those books you have at least 50,000.

I was going to let Excell see and do the totaling. I estimated it would take about 2 years of intermittent data entry. I wanted more than a straight count. I also wanted a want list. So, I thought by using an Excell spreadsheet I could list the collection by region, then by country, then by Scott number. This way I would know what country is weak, what is strong, what sets or singles are missing as well as knowing what I have. And for importantly is I would not have to get an album down to see if I needed a single set being offered.

Anyway, after 6 years I'm still entering data. In the beginning, it was a new task, and I plugged at it. Now I pretty much enter all data for a country only when I add something to that country.

This is how I count. I count pretty much based on Scott number. If Scott listed it and I have it, it is a 1 count. If there is a block of 4 it's a 1 count. If I have 5 shades of a stamp that's a 5 count. If Scott has a souvenir sheet with 10 different stamps as 1 number that's a 1 count. If Scott lists a se-tenant block of 4 as 4 numbers, that's a 4 count. If Scott lists a se-tenant block of 4 as 1 number that's a 1 count. A cover is always a 1 count no matter how many stamps on it.

There are exceptions such as the US flag sheet of 50 states from 1976. I have a set of mint singles, a set of used singles and a mint sheet. In my record, that makes a total of 101 different as a count. But if someone wanted to be exacting that's a duplicate of 51 of the same stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have lately been using Google Sheets instead of Excel to do this, though I don't bother with actually counting anything, instead I use it as a want list and have a lot more stamps in the list than Scott has. Here the first part of my sheet for Finland:

The nice thing about using Google Sheets is it's available to me on the web, not just in my laptop...
Edited by billsey - 07/21/2022 10:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3428 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The good news is there are many stamps produced in the pre-1970 era that are quite affordable if one is after bragging rights of total different stamps. owned. A lot of inexpensive entertainment and education.

The not so good news is there are a lot of stamps and need to organize and store them. There is a fairly significant investment to get from just a small collection to anything that tries to cover the world.

Here is one of the later beginner single volume albums that was inadequate when produced for anything but a small collection. One is out of space quickly and in the on your own area until you migrate to Steiner (low entry price) or the more expense up front pre-printed albums unless you stay with stock pages, etc.

Al
Edited by angore - 07/22/2022 06:41 am
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 07/24/2022   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back to Collecting Thinkstamp! I've always been amazed seeing people with spreadsheets of what they need at stamp shows. My method is much more rudimentary. I add up stamps by how many different there are in a book or album. I count pretty much by "different" stamps. Scott sometimes will put little letters after a Scott number like "a-d." I would count that as four different stamps. If the set has a souvenir sheet with a single stamp or set on it, I add that in as well. I keep a tally with pencil on a black page a the start of each album. Once the initial count is done, it's trivial to keep up with the tally...Until one has to split the album into two... Diving deep into world stamps one will find out quickly that there aren't spaces for some stamps (some may be dubious "Sand Dune" or CTO, etc, but still interesting.) I place those on homemade pages or stock sheets. And of course the temptation is always around for side collections!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
982 Posts
Posted 07/24/2022   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a fairly new worldwide collector I find this thread really fascinating. I love to see how others approach the same basic collecting interest.

When I started my worldwide collecting adventure I decided from the start that I wanted to try and keep track of what I had. I just find it one of the satisfying aspects to my collecting.

My basic philosophy is...If it gets mounted, it gets counted. So I still have thousands and thousands still sitting in envelopes and purchased albums, awaiting to be incorporated into the collection and be counted.

As far as what gets counted, each mounted stamp, or philatelic item, get's counted as 1....more or less.

Since I use Steiner pages, or custom Steiner-esque pages, I tend to follow Scott numbers and listings, unless it is something not listed in Scott, then I fall back on some other catalog or reference book.

Each stamp I mount gets counted as 1. If I include shades, Scott or non-Scott listed, they are each counted as 1. Same with varieties. Some countries I have I have been able to create simultaneous collections of mint and used, both of which get counted. Multiples (blocks, pairs, sheets, etc) all get counted as a single items. Stamps on piece, regardless of how many stamps are on that piece, are also counted as 1. I also mount covers here and there. They also get counted as 1 single philatelic item.

When it comes to se-tenet issues, and blocks of 4 (or more) different designs, most albums provide a space for the block, but normally not the individual stamps. This is probably one of the single biggest pet peeves I have with ALL pre-printed albums. Steiner, unfortunately, is no different. So, rather than just collect a block, or try to place the singles within the space I will make a new page to include the block AND spaces for the single items. The block is counted as 1 and each single stamp is also counted as 1.

Souvenir sheets also get counted as 1, regardless of how many stamps are presented in it.

Something I have recently started is mounting singles and various pairs for booklet panes. My plan is to include a complete pane (counted as 1), singles for each visually unique position (counted as 1 each), and unique pairs of unique singles (counted as 1 per pair).

This might be considered redundant to some, or just a way to pad the numbers, but this is the way I chose.

I use a simple spreadsheet to keep track of numbers. The list of mounted countries closely follows Scott listings, alphabetically, for ease of maintenance. As I work on countries I just add the number of stamps added in a particular session, for whatever country I am working on, and the spreadsheet keeps track of totals. It works for me

I think, right now, my mounted/counted total is
Edited by spain_1850 - 07/24/2022 6:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
Posted 07/25/2022   06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@spain_1850, so what is your current total?

I am also following the catalog alphabetically. I just completed reorganizing my 6105 Steiner pages across 64 Staples, mostly 1.5 inch, binders to make them alphabetical. A handful of countries are out of sequence because they get their own binder (or two). I have 43125 stamps mounted on my Steiner and Steiner-like pages (mostly all unique) and another 43047 counted (so far) in my set of International binders. The ones in the International binders are all unique and different than Steiner pages. Still have much more to count. Also using a spreadsheet to keep the counts.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
982 Posts
Posted 07/25/2022   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@NicholasC

I see I didn't even finish my post....haha!

As of last night, my running total was 45,206 mounted. I haven't gotten to most of the BIG countries yet though. Countries like Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Russia, Romania., and a some others. I'm actually only about 1/3 of the way through the countries on my Steiner CD. Lot's of stamping ahead.

It seems we are similar in our collecting, with some slight variations. You get your binders from Staples, I get mine from Walmart. You prefer 1.5" whereas I prefer 1".
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
Posted 07/25/2022   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1 inch are definitely more manageable when full (about 70 pages), but my shelf "cubes" hold exactly five 1.5 inch and one 1 inch binder. And it turns out I can swap a 1.5 inch binder for one of the volumes of the Scott 2012 catalog. Perhaps I'll experiment more with the 1 inch and use those a bit more often.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 07/25/2022   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just for the fun of it, even though I don't really care how many stamps I have and instead care which stamps I have, I added a cell with the COUNTA() function to my spreadsheets for Finland and Sweden. They show my collection (in each case from the beginning to 1940) has 463 and 727 stamps respectively. Note that counts a used and a mint as two stamps, but ignores all the duplicates I have scattered around the room. :)
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thinkstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'billsey' I like your spreadsheet. Mine heading doesn't have all the details yours does. I can always add a column but as for now I just want to get all listed with a count, a catalog value and if mint or used. Also I keep record of my cost but mainly as a country or region as that is how I purchase now (by country or region).

I don't work too hard at the listing though. Because after 6 years of working on Excell list of my collection (that I started in 1982), I guess I'm about 60% done. About 70% of my collection ends in the mid 1960's and rest ends in mid 1980's and US goes to 2011.

Like you, spain_1850, I find it interesting to read how others approach their collecting. Personally, I like the Scott specialty albums. I don't have the patience to make my own pages. My lack of patience is one reason why it's taking me so long to make a list my collection. I'd rather work on adding to the number I have. Although I have to admit by making the list, I am also reviewing my collection. Which causes me to see errors in ID, etc.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 58 / Views: 3,746Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05