Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

304 - Damaged Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 504Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
69 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add serf_tide to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a pair of Scott #304. Both are damaged. Is there any value to these stamps...or just trash?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1889 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy them for their portrayal of a highly-skilled engraver's work.

They have no retail value.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add serf_tide to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I guess the question is...how much damage is too much damage?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6835 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...how much damage is too much damage?

It likely has a lot to do with what you want out of it. If they are yours to keep it is your call. If you intend to sell best of luck. No need to dispose of in the trash unless they are taking up space but they are not exactly living room furniture size. Unless we are talking a really, really, really rare item than having pieces missing is not a good thing for value.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1889 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that the great majority of stamp collectors are very intolerant of damage to stamps, even small amounts of damage. Something as trivial as a creased perforation tip on an unused stamp would be considered too much damage to some collectors.

Other collectors are more concerned with appearance, and are OK with small amounts of damage, especially if it isn't visible from the front.

Perhaps some other collectors could share their opinions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
655 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They still are ten cents worth of postage.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
530 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a shame.... A few thoughts:

They could be used on postage...but that wouldn't be my first choice.
Know any kids or beginners that are just starting a collection? This would be a nice gift.
Include it in your collection, as a second...
You could assemble a 'lot' full of damaged stamps and sell them cheap on eBay to someone who either isn't picky, can use it for a study, or otherwise needs it.

It's up to you...
Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Know any kids or beginners that are just starting a collection? This would be a nice gift

IMO, Somehow, I feel we should aspire higher for those we wish to follow in our footstep and give them decent material, rather than our trash.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
530 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, When I was a kid starting out I would have appreciated it.
Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 09/06/2021   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps me also, but I would always remember where I got the damaged stamp from and conversely, who offered me good material/deals, etc. In a sense ... who treated me like a child and who treated me like an adult.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 09/06/2021   05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK Radical thought here. First ensure that they are not some rarity that has value even in damaged condition. If not, then they are not collectable but are interesting. I would suggest using them with other interesting low value stamps on the cover of a notebook or underneath the plastic of a desk cover.

I have a notebook with some interesting stamps on the outside - a bit of fun. I have uploaded a picture of the photo album with stamps. I did not put these stamps on and there are some nice ones. Or save and send them to a scrapbooker for decorative material.

I take off my modern stamps on letters I receive - the damaged ones I do throw out (new and common) but the rest I collect in envelopes and give away periodically.
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
Posted 09/06/2021   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is, apparently, a market for everything, including heavily damaged stamps. Some of you may recall this thread:
http://goscf.com/t/76139
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
Posted 09/06/2021   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add serf_tide to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback. These are in my Dad's collection that I've been tasked to sell for the estate. I'm building my own collection now and I'm trying to understand how to evaluate stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
739 Posts
Posted 09/06/2021   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They still are ten cents worth of postage.

Full original gum and NH as well.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 09/06/2021 11:14 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 504Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05