Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Forces In Newfoundland? 1941 Cancel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 313Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
Posted 09/12/2021   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, here's a plain vanilla cover, no backstamps and no address, so I suspect it was a courtesy cancel. Does anyone have information about this? It pre-dates the US entry into WWII, but perhaps they were stationing troops as a precaution. Seems like a somewhat undesirable place to get sent.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
885 Posts
Posted 09/12/2021   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GregAlex

Found this online https://www.heritage.nf.ca/articles...labrador.php

No info found on the cancel though.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6632 Posts
Posted 09/12/2021   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gettinold - Great article!
Pillar Of The Community
3753 Posts
Posted 09/12/2021   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lawrence Sherman's "The United States Post Office in World War II" is very useful for cover like this. Published by the Collectors Club of Chicago.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, great article and a topic I was completely unaware of. Thanks for posting that link, gettinold! And John, I appreciate the reference info. I'll see if I can find that book.
Edited by GregAlex - 09/13/2021 02:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
658 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The American bases in Newfoundland were a part of President Roosevelt's Lend-Lease program. The cancel you show is the first day of use. A substantial amount of philatelic mail was processed at the Newfoundland bases as part of the publicity campaign for the Lend-Lease program. The January 15th cover were postmarked on board the USAT Edmund T Alexander while it was still in New York harbor before sailing for St. John's.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4470 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating. Great stuff.
Valued Member
Canada
265 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That really was an interesting summary of what happened. My dad was born in Newfoundland in the 1930s. The closest I've ever been to Newfoundland is Bangor Maine about 25 years ago on my motorcycle.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GregAlex

The Jim Forte Postal History website has 4 covers for sale with the same January 15, 1941 date cancel, and they are labelled as "Philatelic" in nature. I snipped a couple of his images to add to the topic, and thanks everyone for an educational thread.

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very helpful, Linus, thank you! They seem a bit steep for philatelic pieces, but at least I have a sense of market value now.
Pillar Of The Community
3753 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And no takers at those asking prices, so perhaps more of a ceiling, indicating the true market value is somewhat less.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05