Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

C6 Stamp With Straight Edge

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 314Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
68 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add serf_tide to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at the c6 stamps offered on eBay and I came across this listing which has a straight edge with no selvage. I haven't seen this before...can someone tell me the source of this stamp? It is some special sheet or maybe a booklet that I'm not aware of?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373074270611?LH_BIN=1
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
279 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   6:08 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks used to me. See marks in "A" field in "POSTAGE" and also at the 9 o'clock position... Also, the straight edge does not look straight to me...

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cut by scissors?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5774 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   6:13 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Light smudge near propeller" is a long way of saying "cancel" … Top doesn't like a scissor-cut - more a tear.
Valued Member
Canada
265 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trace of black in the A of postage too. Hold out for a better copy.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6202 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
U.S. flat plate printed panes from this era will have stamps from the "cut side" of the pane with a straight edge.

You don't see nearly as many straight-edged stamps as were produced because most/many of them have been perforated to suit stamp collectors.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
516 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott C4-6 were printed in sheets of 400 that were cut into panes of 100. They can exist with a straight edge at the top, or bottom, or left, or right, or on two contiguous sides. Like most other straight edged stamps the vast majority have been "improved".
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
+1

There are some collectors that try and collect nothing else and the logic to that is that there are less of them. The idea that it having a straight edge makes a a stamp less desirable is non-sense.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
68 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add serf_tide to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So people cut the perforations into them? Interesting. I didn't see the cancel sign. You guys are really good. Thanks.
Learn More...
9659 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   6:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a used stamp, it may have been cut when the addressee opened the envelope.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05