Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where Were You During The Great Postal Workers Strike Of 1970?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 412Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

31 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chris s to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think for US stamp collectors 1970 was a fascinating year in postal history for the Great Postal Strike. Here is a link summarizing this pivotal event in labor law and economic equity - https://aflcio.org/about/history/la...ostal-strike

The question I have for those who lived during this time, what effect, if any, did it have on philately?
Send note to Staff
Edited by chris s - 09/13/2021 7:37 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6632 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was in elementary school.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was 2 1/2 months old.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was four years old and blissfully unaware of the strike. It would be another three years before I started collecting stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
706 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   03:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was 2.

Just learning to eat apple sauce correctly without throwing it against the wall.

About this strike and other (later)postalstrikes. At at the moment of the strike you adapt, afterwards you think what was it all about.
Edited by Johan Buvelot - 09/14/2021 04:17 am
Learn More...
9659 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   03:30 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hangin out at the beach, just starting to learn about girls, rock n roll, and partying. I was a coin collector but not yet a stamp collector so postal strike was not on my radar.
Don
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never even noticed the strike. That was two years before I started my paper route and subsequently started collecting coins and stamps. So, I was in Scouts, listening to my brother's LPs and 45's, riding my bike, in awe of the older girl that lived next door...
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32833 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just returned from Vietnam, via Subic Bay, Philippines,
where we had repairs to the forward turret, on our destroyer, where a 5 inch shell had pre exploded in the barrel.

We had been destroyer screen for the United States Navy Carriers "Oriskany" and "Constellation. "

Was in the middle of "California dreaming" and being hugely influenced by Muhammed Ali.
Stamp catalogues had been stolen 3 years previously, so stamping was of no importance at that time.

Edited by rod222 - 09/14/2021 09:08 am
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222: It sounds like you were on the USS Lloyd Thomas correct? I ran across the story a couple years ago by accident while searching for something unrelated.
Valued Member
463 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i wouldn't be born for another 6 years :)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32833 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jconey,
apologies, failed to advise, an Australian bent.
I was on HMAS Brisbane.
Edited by rod222 - 09/14/2021 09:35 am
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, yes I should have figured that...
USS Lloyd Thomas September 11, 1970. A neighbor of my Aunt and Uncle in Montoursville, PA was killed along with two others.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1985 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was in the tail-end of 4th grade. I had already begun my collection however I have no memory of the strike affecting the free stamps I was getting from Kenmore, Garcelon, Falcon, and some other approval players of the time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2668 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I was on a collecting hiatus, I was affected by the strike. I lived in Santa Rosa, Calif. and worked for Otis Elevator. Commuting to San Francisco daily, as a member of Local #8 Elevator constructors union, the company mailed my weekly paycheck to my home.
It only cost me an extra hour to drive by the company office to pick up that weeks check, but that put me into the heavier commute home! Adding another hour or more to the drive home.
Edited by littleriverphil - 09/14/2021 10:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
574 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Naval Air Station Los Alamitos awaiting orders of transfer.
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't born until several months later, but, never knew about this event in history. Interesting to read about it.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 412Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05