Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Double Grills Of 1867 US Postage Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 781Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PKsPassport to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

SPOR,
I've gone through the USPCS site you provided and checked all of the patent cancels that was listed and provided. The one I have wasn't listed or discussed within this research. I see where this could be a patent cancel but am confused at not finding an example to go by. Oh well, I'll continue to search the net and maybe get lucky. If you should run across more information about this item give me a shout so I can get a handle on it.
Thanks for your help.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please post an image of the entire cover.
Thank you
Don

I think that 'patent cancels' were first used in NY and were called "cutter" cancellations. Here is a letter from NY Postmaster Abram Wakeman to the Third Assistant Postmaster General A. N. Zevely in Washington, DC.

Quote:
Post Office New York,
January 3, 1863
Sir: Some time since you requested that I should test the utility of Norton's double post-marking and cancelling
stamping iron, and report my opinion thereon. It was in use in this office when I first entered upon my duties.
Since then the cancelling part has been changed in various forms. We have tried the cutter thoroughly. This is the
most complete method of cancellation; but it is liable, even if used with the greatest care, to injure the contents of
the envelope, especially if the enclosures are cards, photographs, and the like. We have also used cork, by inserting
it in the cylinder of the canceller. This has proved successful, and our cancellation is now performed in this way.
I am confident no office in the country performs cancellation more thoroughly.

The design of Mr. Norton is indispensable to us. Indeed, unless I should nearly double the stamping force, we
could not dispense with its use. I am satisfied the interest of the department would be subserved by securing its
general use.

We are now testing a stamp and canceller on Norton's plan, made of boxwood. It promises well, and can be
made at a very trifling expense. I am fearful, however, its liability to yield to the wear to which it will be subject
may prevent its general adoption. Time will determine this.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
ABRAM WAKEMAN, Postmaster

These were 'blade' kind of cuts in the stamp like this

As SPQR mentions, other types/styles were tried in the the years that follow.
Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The unusual embossing pattern on the stamp has zero to do with any patent cancel. Wrong rabbit hole.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2442 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   6:13 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it is probably a genuine grill. Probably an E grill. There are good ways to examine grills and then there are others ranging from semi-useless to somewhat destructive.

If photographing or trying to examine/identify a grill, illuminate the stamp from a low angle going diagonally across the stamp. The picture of the stamp should be taken straight on. If you don't do that you get what we have here... Confusion
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PKsPassport to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,
I hope these photos help and it was an excellent answer in helping me understand patent cancels.
I thank you for the information.

John,
I'm not the waskelly wabbit but sure feel as though I've went in and out of wabbit holes with a shotgun pointed at me.

Sinclair,
It would be nice if it were a grilled item. Well I've posted 3 more pics hope they help.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
616 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
based on the new photos I withdraw my suggestion that it is a patent cancel - it is a grill. photos
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 781Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05