Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US C15 Regummed - Effect On Value

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,320Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
68 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add serf_tide to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking at this stamp:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294381880743

The stamp looks very nice. The Scott Catalogue lists C15 NH at a value of $825. How do you value it when it is "regummed"?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6632 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a safe bet that the right side is not reperforated given that the centerline is visible on the tips. But what about the blue ink at the area of the F of Graf and Z of Zeppelin?
Learn More...
9659 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   03:47 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When buying higher value stamps, sellers tend to know when they have a good quality stamp and price it appropriately. In other words, sorting eBay listing by 'lowest first' is likely to produce a lot of stamps that have various issues. They are discounted for good reasons, you get what you pay for.

If you are not that experienced, stick to known, quality sellers and avoid buying from unknown random people. Knowing who you are buying from is as important as knowing what you are buying. Once you get years of experience, it gets a little easier to buy from random unknown people since you will have enough knowledge to spot good quality stamps. In other words, you are going to the spend money to 'buy an education' one way or the other. You can step into some expensive holes or you can work with a quality seller.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
682 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very solid advice from Don—as usual.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7604 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Serf, I have bought from John in the past. He is a staff member of the PNC3 club, and he can be trusted in my opinion. Why not talk to him about the stamp?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6632 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it is not about trust. The seller may have pure intentions but lack knowledge. That sword cuts both ways for buyers. The fact that John thinks there is a side that is reperfed that obviously is not but neglects to mention the blue smudge which I have not seen like that on a C15 before is problematic. Good intentions can still lead to a pig in a poke.

Don gives good advice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
516 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While the Scott catalogue price for a Never Hinged C15 is $825.00, the Scott Catalogue price for a previously hinged stamp is $525.OO. While ParcelPostGuy's link suggested reduction of 50%, it should be higher for
no gum stamps and regummed stamps are nothing more than a no gum stamp with a little work done. Keep in mind that regumming can be done to cover a thin or repair. A check of the Scott Specialized will show that the difference between OG and no gum is almost always more than 50%. The reduction for 20th century stamps should be higher and the later in the century the bigger the reduction
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Serf Tide send him a message asking to see the back of the stamp. That will be the good way to tell if it has been re-gummed.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I took the liberty to look at it myself and I'd suspect that this may in-fact be a postal counterfeit. The letters g and r in the word Graf are joined at the top and there is a lot of ink in places that it shouldn't be. The frame lines aren't clear and defined. The word Zeppelin also looks like it is mis-spelled.
If it is in-fact a postal counterfeit it is still very collectable. There is a section in the Scott U.S. Specialized catalog for Postal Counterfeits.

Maybe someone else can elaborate some more please.
Edited by Shakey 7 - 09/15/2021 11:48 am
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shakey7: I think I see what you mean.
Quote:
The word Zeppelin also looks like it is mis-spelled.

On the depiction of the zep it looks like it ends in an R
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a legit example.
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This has described earmarks of the postal counterfeit. C15(CF1) as of the 2020 catalog (page 1024) lists at $1000-Used $1500-Mint. I did contact the seller.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes
That is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for the second set of eyes and confirmation of what I saw.
Edited by Shakey 7 - 09/15/2021 3:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This topic has taken an interesting turn.
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When looking at it, if a spec of dust landed on the plate at the 3-4 o'clock position on the N, it might make it look like an R since the top of the R isn't well defined. But it does seem to bend in at the top.

I have spotted a couple other differences in minute details but I don't know if they are normal. A better scan would be needed.

The seller is convinced it's a legit stamp that has just been re-gummed.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,320Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05