Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US C15 Regummed - Effect On Value

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,482Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2015 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam- what does the ink smear indicate in your experience?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6812 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you all are going down a rabbit hole here. The stamp is real. Not to mention the centerlines on the right perf tips which NO forger would do.

Quote:
"Under a magnifying glass the stamp does not hold up well in critical comparison to the genuine. It presents sort of a 'scratchy' appearance, suggestive of an etching. The words 'Graf Zeppelin,' and 'D-LZ 127' on the size of the dirigible are hazy and poorly traced, in fact almost impossible to read. The forward cabin is only faintly outlined and the rear motor is entirely missing. The background on which the two lines of lettering across the top of the stamp are set is made up of cross-hatched horizontal and vertical lines, where the original is of solid coloring. The four frame lines of the stamp are not as bold and sure as in the genuine. The skilled Bureau engravers who executed the original would scoff in derision at the crude efforts to reproduce their handiwork. (Cited from: https://www.stampexchange.com/threa...-stamp.4141/ )

***Link Fixed - Mod***
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get ya on the center line, that's a good description of a Panelli forgery. If not a CF than it's an interesting specimen. I've never seen a plating exercise for this issue so I can't say if the other very minor differences are normal or not. Like I said, a better scan would be helpful. If one of you buy it, please upload one. I'd be interested to see it but not interested enough to spend $300+ to find out.

The link above includes the last ')' remove it and it works.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add serf_tide to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely was not trying to stir up anything against the seller. I was taking his word that the stamp was regummed. I was just wondering what all of you thought the value hit would be on the stamp if I bought it as "regummed".
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing stirred up at all its just something that caught my eye and has brought about a vey interesting discussion that has educated us all. I think?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6812 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Serf - To answer your question, if the sellers stamp was a lightly hinged C15 with no drama attached his price is in the right range. As a regummed C15 it is overpriced by a factor of 2.5 or thereabouts. I could see it in the $125 range. Problem is that there is a huge supply of perfectly normal angst free C15's around. The only reason that the value stay's relatively high for C13-15's is the subject matter and the cache that the set carries. They are like the Columbian's and Trans-Miss's. All the "in" collectors have the set don't you know.
Pillar Of The Community
3814 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the perf tips are quite short on the right side and lower right corner. Some would consider this a "fault" comparable to the regumming.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rodgcam: good response!

serf_tide: no issue and nothing stirred up. Don't be afraid to throw things out there for comment.
Edited by jconey - 09/16/2021 10:43 am
Valued Member
317 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen auctions use a "no gum" cat value for "regummed"(if NG has an actual Scott's catalog entry).
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
40 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wshuwahere77 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would watch tomorrow's auction results on kelleher. They have like 18 mint C15's, 4 used. All of them are pretty nice. I think there is a ton of inventory on these just sitting around, you should be able to negotiate this or any C15. https://stampauctionnetwork.com//V/v760194.cfm

Personally, I like to collect them used with interesting cancels.

Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   7:53 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jconey & shakey - It is not a counterfeit. It just looks a bit funny brcause you have blown up an image that does not have ebough resolution for the amount of enlarging you did.

I don't think it is reperfed at right, but because it is against a black background it is hard to see if all the perf tips are covered by a blue giude line or if some of them are shortish, but either way the appearance of the right side perfs tends to negate the nice centering (and Zeppelins tend to have a bit better centering than normal). $299 is too much for this regummed example, let alone the $399 BIN price. Zeppelins are not hos area of expertise.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Contrary to your belief I haven't enlarged any image. I looked at the image the eBay seller has on the listing after seeing the link the original author of this thread posted. While you seem to think it is a genuine copy. I will say I have to disagree with you and I'll leave it at that.
Edited by Shakey 7 - 09/16/2021 8:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I said, a better scan would be needed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   6:59 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok it was jc who posted the enlarged image. If you really think it is the counterfeit that Scott lists then you should buy it as it is quite uncommon and worth more than a real one. But its still not the counterfeit.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6812 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If anybody actually read all of the posts and information above regarding THE counterfeit they would clearly understand that the OP's stamp is not, I repeat, not the counterfeit.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,482Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05