Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hong Kong, Scott # 210, Design A28 With Bangkok Cancel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 228Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bmbmbm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I found this stamp in a album and was curious about why it has a Bangkok cancel.

From this link: http://goscf.com/t/65078 From 3/4 down the webpage, it looks like Bangkok cancels did exist on Hong Kong stamps, but that the post office closed in 1885. From the bottom of the cancel, it appears to be from 1965.

I know that my Scott Specialized catalogue lists Treaty Port and British Offices in Japan cancels on Hong Kong stamps. Interestingly enough, it doesn't mention Bangkok cancels even though it seems Scott should given the above website's information.

Any info about this more modern cancel is appreciated!

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
That does not look like a Thai Postmark.
Search for another Hong Kong post office?

Hmm
Could not find a PO other than Stanley

Stanley
(2 Wong Ma Kok Road, Stanley)

Faulty text string search
what about............

#61599; Mongkok
(1/F, Mongkok Exchange, 37 Bute Street, Mong Kok

29 Instances of "KOK"
Mongkok looks the most possible
see list of Post Offices
https://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/abou...e/index.html

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 09/15/2021 9:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bmbmbm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know that much about cancels, but your opinion seems right to me!

The trace of the edge of the next letter on the left side of the stamp definitely looks more like an "O" than an "A".

Thanks for the quick response!
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bmbmbm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just found this link!
Should be nice for identifying Hong Kong cancels...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...post_offices

At first I saw the English page which says the post office opened in 1993...didn't make sense.

The translated version of the Chinese page made much more sense date-wise.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Employing both your link and mine........

Mong Kok or Mongkok is the ONLY post office, with the text strings

"NG KOK" or "NGKOK"

Solved.

Edited by rod222 - 09/15/2021 10:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 09/15/2021   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shoot, I missed all the fun on this one.

Well done, Rod, as usual.

From my collection, another example of Mongkok from 1960...

Linus

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bmbmbm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your input!

A tangentially related question: Are there any online resources about the relative scarcity of Hong Kong cancellations? Looking for Treaty Port cancels can be fun, but I'm wondering if there are other Hong Kong cancels to look out for too?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are there any online resources about the relative scarcity of Hong Kong cancellations?

Opinion.
This is where general philately, jumps to another level.
I find I have to employ
Google searches
Dedicated Blogs that match your query
Searching for dedicated catalogues, dealers.
Joining dedicated societies with hopefully, printed journals.

SCF Linus, here has written interesting threads on Treaty Ports.
he may weigh in with further routes.

Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are there any online resources about the relative scarcity of Hong Kong cancellations?

None that I know of online that gives relative scarcity of Hong Kong cancels.

bmbmbm - It looks like you found a great list of the Hong Kong post offices. Now try to find them all cancelled on a cover, block, or stamp. Some will be hard to find, some will be easy, and you will soon find that out as you look for them. I am still enjoying the hunt, as I collect Hong Kong cancels, and the thrill comes when you find one like this Butterfly!

Enjoy the hobby,
Linus

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay
Text string "Hong Kong Postmark" under "stamps"
117 responses
S1 barred numeral
Shatin

Prices are heavy.

Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is why I love this forum. You ask a question, then someone always has an answer or can at least point you in the right direction.

Loved reading your thought process @rod222. It actually gives me insights to my own searching.

@bmbmbm I stock pile the links I find in this forum. They are helpful and full of descriptions on what ever it is your searching for. I'm forever asking these guys for help and they almost always have an exact description or a link for me to go check out. Since we are mere Padawan learners and they are the masters. LOL

Have fun with the hunt. Thanks again guys for upping my stamp hunting game and I didn't even ask the question. Love this place.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 228Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05