Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stolen & Recovered Mail

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 240Next Topic  
Valued Member
244 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Stolen & Recovered Mail: Carthage MO. Dec. 17, 1955.

"This mail was stolen and afterward recovered, which accounts for its condition and delay."

Can't find any additional information.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly do you want to know?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
244 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not much really. I just did a quick scan to see if there was any local news at the time.

Was it part of a "Great Train Robbery", or just some local loser popping open mail boxes?
Not much to go by on the letter.

https://postalmuseum.si.edu/researc...rail/robbery

pat
Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pat,

Am I correct in assuming that there are no markings of any sort on the reverse side?

Assuming such, there are indeed few clues as to whether this happened in Missouri or in California or somewhere in between, nor the amount of time delay in its recovery. If I were investing time into this piece, I would be looking in the Carthage, MO newspapers first. The lack of a second postmark makes me wonder (my best guess on a scenario...) if this was lifted from the sender's mailbox by someone looking for Christmas money enclosures, recovered by postal authorities and then the machine postmark was added at the same time as the official seal the rubber stamp message. As opposed to being stolen in transit or at the point of delivery, which typically would have postmark from a city down the route.
Valued Member
244 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John. From your past advise, if there was anything at all on the back, I would have shown.

Dec. 17 - Christmas card envelope size - rough opening, no doubt going after the money.

I remember usually getting a card from a grandmother or great aunt at about this time frame with a few dollars in it.

Nice that it was found, officially sealed, and sent on it's way (empty of any cash).

Not investing much time; thought it an interesting hand-stamp to share.

Thanks,
pat

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 240Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05