Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ras Al-Khaimah 1972 Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 349Next Topic  
Valued Member

Uruguay
5 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MrsMouse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone! Thanks for adding me to your group. I have a set of stamps - 1972 Ras al-Khaimah - that feature horses. I recently came across a painting which I think is painted by the original artist of one of the stamps. Is it possible for me to find out the name of the artist? Are such records kept? Thanks for any help you can provide.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Uruguay
5 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrsMouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Uruguay
5 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrsMouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the signature on the painting but I can't read it.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   6:13 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like "Arangoden". If Michel lists these stamps, it may also mention the artist, but I'm not familiar with Michel catalogues.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MrsMouse

The Michel Catalog Number for this set is 656 thru 661. I don't own a Michel catalog so am unable to see if it provides any details.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Minnie,
as good as Michel is, it does not list any painters for this set.

Exist: Forgeries, Imperforate values without gum, rastered cancels.

Going by the images, I would suggest all stamps by the same artist.

Nice to see another Ras Al Khaima collector
Interesting you found the artist signature, otherwise, I would have suggested VASARHELYI a prolific stamp designer of Hungarian descent.

He designed 7500 stamps for 165 different countries.

The stamps he designed for Ras Al Khaima are.......

Ras Al Khaima 1969 Apollo XII Flights
Ras Al Khaima 1969 Scenes from Famous Operas
Ras Al Khaima 1970 Football World Cup - Mexico
Ras Al Khaima 1970 Summer Olympic Games - Munich
Ras Al Khaima 1970 Winter Olympic Games - Sapporo
Ras Al Khaima 1972 Skylab Program
Ras Al Khaima 1972 Summer Olympic Games - Munich - Famous Buildings
Edited by rod222 - 09/16/2021 8:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
799 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   03:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No info in the "Official Trucial States Catalogue" of 1976 either.
Valued Member
Uruguay
5 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   05:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrsMouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the information. What would you do next to try to find the artist?

I'm wondering whether it could be an amateur copy of the image on the stamp, but the painting doesn't look like it was done by an amateur. Also, there's an extra horse in the painting, which makes me wonder whether the image was reduced to fit the stamp format. It's very intriguing!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   05:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have to understand the history behind these labels.
We see stamp images where someone has just gone around a museum,
taken pics, and put them on stamps.

These stamps would be similar, genuine paintings, reduced to fit on stamps. That's why we see these stamps that fit popular "Thematic" interests, Birds, horses, dogs, cats, Space travel etc.

Quote:
What would you do next to try to find the artist?

You may try Google image search
scan the stamps, and crop off the perforations, and search for the images.

Edited by rod222 - 09/17/2021 05:56 am
Valued Member
Uruguay
5 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrsMouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222 thanks for the information. So artists weren't necessarily credited for their images? That seems unfair. Does this still happen today or is copyright law stricter now?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Copyright law varies from place to place. In Europe, it's unfortunately become more restrictive in recent years, along the lines of US copyright law. The question isn't really whether artists are credited - there's no particular reason why they should be - but they'll wish to be paid. Gibbons simetimes has details of artists etc when it's aware of them. Artists may also have sold their work direct to the producer of the stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
799 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally speaking, if I did a painting and then someone selected it for a postage stamp, I'd be delighted. Of course I might also look for some royalties, but at the end of the day the recognition would be reward enough.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MrsMouse

Sometimes the artist is named on the stamp itself. In this example they reversed the image of his work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gleaners
Edited by gettinold - 09/17/2021 6:04 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So artists weren't necessarily credited for their images?

Further to what has been explained, your images of horses, may well be
paintings from a painting factory.
I have seen street vendors in Bangkok, producing fabulous oils in what looks like a production line.

Well known artworks are generally noted in Michel.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
799 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting thought, but there's no doubt in my mind that this is the original painting which was reproduced on the stamp. If it was a production line type of painting, I guess there would be many similar versions around - what are the chances of the exact original being found?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps "production line" drew the wrong conclusion.

I meant to indicate quantities of different paintings made by
4 to 5 painters in oils, to sell to tourists.

Not the same picture moving down a line.

Perhaps something like
https://www.saatchiart.com/painting...query=horses
Edited by rod222 - 09/18/2021 06:50 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 349Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05