Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early US Submarine Covers

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 841Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
817 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.folklib.net/fdc/birthdays.shtml lists Richard Buchwald but does not provide an address.

From a Google search, "richard buchwald cachet maker cleveland ohio" this was a return listed on the second page:

Quote:
Page 99 - The Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News
https://philly.newspapers.com newspage
Ohio Ar III.. Mich. ... 24, 1939, with a beautiful cachet from the pen of Richard Buchwald. ... 1254 East 172d st., Cleveland, Ohio, as soon as possible, ...
Requires a Newspapers.com subscription to read the page. I don't have one.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 10/08/2021 9:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 10/09/2021   05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy, here's the clip from newspapers.com:

Valued Member
282 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1321 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is the first time I've ever seen an exclamation point used in the dial of a hand cancel!

Valued Member
282 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg,
I hadn't even noticed (!)
Thanks for pointing out.
Pat
Edited by patg23 - 10/12/2021 6:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
817 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the addressee Richard Buchwald may be the artist mentioned earlier in the thread

Well it is unlikely hy-brasil that there were two cachet makers in Cleveland, Ohio at the same time with the same name. So yes, my cover is addressed to the cachet artist it seems.

Thank you patg23 for the article text of the newspaper.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 10/12/2021 7:45 pm
Valued Member
282 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg - Went to the Naval Cover Museum; Some had the (!), some did not.

Parcelpostguy - Some of the early programs had the clipping included, others do not.

I really recommend to those interested in the history to go to the sites I attached,
pigboats.com is an awesome site, and really gives you a feel for how it was for the men on the early boats.

pat
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pbmorris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had to dig deep for these!

Valued Member
282 Posts
Posted 10/13/2021   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
pbmorris - Thanks for showing the Nautilus cover. It's one I don't have as a Mare Island built sub (was first one built there).
pat

Narwhal Class Submarine
Keel Laid May 10 1927 - Launched March 15 1930

USS V-6 SC-2 (Cruiser Submarine)
Commissioned July 1 1930

USS NAUTILUS SC-2
Renamed February 19 1931

USS NAUTILUS SS-168
Redesignated Fleet Submarine (SS) July 1 1931
Decommissioned June 30 1945

Struck from Naval Register July 25 1945
Sold November 16 1945 for scrap
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 841Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05