Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collapse In Stamp Prices On Better Worldwide Stamps .

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 97 / Views: 3,826Next Topic
Page: of 7
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doge coin worth about 85 billion started as a joke by Billy Marcus and J. Palmer now up to .25 / coin running on faith/ empty as you see it. make S. Gibbons look like honest pikers trying to raise 12- 13 million on the one cent Guiana. None of this is analysis, just humble opinion
Regards m
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
739 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nothing goes up forever. Stock market is high, crypto is insane (see dogecoin ).
A lot of markets run on emotion, not intrinsic value.

Such would never occur if those "greater fools" were consistent and not so willing to change their investment category focus. Intrinsic value is now only considered by investment Luddites, not today's cutting edge bitcoin bros or dogecoin pack investors.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3151 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one dealer's opinion in Linn's Stamp News on US new issue market situation.

The words that interest me are "handsome returns...."

Linn's Stamp News, Oct 24, 2021

Al
Edited by angore - 09/19/2021 06:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   09:52 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something bought at $11 by a dealer and sold for $18 is hardly in the handsome return category. That is a normal markup for any new issue. And dealers are not going to be offering a collector much if anything above $11.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore, you're spot on!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2015 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Inflated catalog values that have not changed to reflect reality in many years for countries such as Italy and other Western European countries.

I could not agree more. And there seems to be a TON of Italian material on the market that isn't selling. Some other countries I put in this category would be Germany, Austria, Belgium, and Switzerland.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae, those are probably the countries to collect now....as a contrarian. Unfortunately Iam stuck in this US classic period.What I love and cherish.
When floortrader started this thread he was speaking of a specific area of philately and of a specific timeline. As we traverse our opinions and thoughts we have gone far astray. Much more interesting I think. Floortraders original post is clear and the greater thought is "contagion " I.e. Is this a harbinger of the future in all corners of philately. This is not " analysis " this is merely observation and opinion and I take it as such.
I find this interesting. Regards, m
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add xavierstripe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting thread. Interesting to get a 'pulse check' on the shorter-term fluctuations, and also interesting to think about the longer-term picture.

Philately isn't dying off - far from it - but the number of collectors diminishes every year.

One wonders if the gradual, but inexorable, decline in this number will lead to a decline in demand and, in turn, prices.

Not for all areas, of course, but for most. Which will be the areas where prices will remain the most robust? (US classics, China, etc.)
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   5:54 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Philately isn't dying off - far from it - but the number of collectors diminishes every year...

Hi xavierstripe,
What metrics are you using to form your opinion on this? How do you account for the online segments of the hobby?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   6:05 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Philately isn't dying off - far from it - but the number of collectors in organized philately diminishes every year.

Fixed that... also, I don't even know that this is true. Haven't organizations such as the APS seen a slight resurgence in membership since the onset of COVID?
Edited by revenuecollector - 09/19/2021 6:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add xavierstripe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don,

No doubt that the internet has breathed new life into the hobby. So many fantastic resources (including yours!) have democratized access to information that was behind closed doors before.

Like I said, the hobby is far from dead, but I do believe that the number of collectors is in gradual decline. I think the number of APS members, which is reported on a monthly basis and almost always shows a year over year decline, is a good proxy for this.

The age of the average collector continues to increase. I don't intend to turn this into a 'how to get the kids collecting' thread, but I do think that decades from now the market for most philatelic material will look significantly different than it does now, rarities and top-end material excepting.

To be very clear, even if (as I believe is the case) the overall number of collectors is decreasing, I do also believe that those who are collecting are perhaps just as, if not more, engaged in the hobby than collectors were decades ago.

I would argue that stamp collecting ceased to be a 'mainstream' hobby awhile ago, but the folks who do collect are more passionate about it than before.

All this bodes well for the future of an increasingly niche, but also increasingly engaged hobby - and again, the internet and increase in philatelic resources available at one's fingertips has a lot to do with that.

To bring this post back to the thread topic, I do think that as demand falls, prices for most material will drop.

Presumably supply will also decrease a bit each year as bits and pieces get locked into permanent collections or due to loss (theft, accidents, damage, etc.), but generally, it'll be fewer people competing for roughly the same amount of material. (To say nothing of the new issues still being released each year!)

Perhaps some of this drop in demand based on number of collectors alone will be offset by the assumption that those who still do collect do so more passionately and are thus more acquisitive? Pure speculation on my part.

For those who view the hobby as just that, and not as a means of investment, I think that's a good thing: it puts more material within reach of more collectors.

Lest I sound pessimistic here, I'll reiterate - I think stamp collecting has a bright future ahead, indeed! Just a smaller, but more connected (and knowledgable) collector base.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
560 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right now even on a random Monday midday in the US, this site has over 100 people actively on it, with 750 lurkers right this minute. As the day ticks by it goes MUCH higher. It's super impressive. I don't know what organized philately really even means in the era of online forums, sites, and services. It feels like sort of a manufactured term, to draw divides within the hobby. I was a member of a few stamp orgs, but saw less value in maintaining membership so I left. This didn't change me being a collector. I don't rank collectors. You could enjoy collecting guitar-themed commemorative stamps and be the best darn professional collector and purveyor of guitar stamps. It doesn't make you inferior to grill stamps or PNCs.

Organizations are difficult to thrive and grow and often people join them for fringe benefits (discount prices on certs, online store, auctions, whatever) versus a core organization participation benefit. Many just send out a magazine or something of interest.

Collecting is really an individual sport despite there being a competition between.

I get a bit saddened when I see popularity contests like this: https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6506...Philatelists
It makes it feel like there is some sort of circle of expertise when there is really a meshed web of folks who collect, enjoy, and so many more than 175 listed people that want nothing to do with being in the limelight of publication. I get it, it's Linn's is a business, and they sell magazines. Rolling Stone, Sports Illustrated, etc do the same thing, with rating best albums or athletes of all time largely to just sell more rags.

I will say this- if you sell stuff at an auction site/house/stamp store, if you price the material properly a buyer will almost always show up. This is the key. It lets you know people are really out there. Everyone is trying to extract the highest value out of everything, but a thriving market does truly exist. When you browse 'completed items' from Siegel to the bay very few things sit for too long.

Priced right, really means a buyer and seller agree.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
818 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of interesting opinions popping up on this topic. I think all are coloured by individual circumstance and collecting interests. For example, I have no real interest, directly, in market variations for higher priced items. My own financial situation has always meant that buying individual items, much less expensive individual items, has been out of the picture. Yes, I watch auctions but not from a comparative stand point, and have tended to used a catalogue for years until it more or less falls apart. Then find a more recent used copy.

Thus, I am a buyer, at auction, of the tattered old collections and the "Big Box O' Stuff". And yes, the prices continue to rise for this material. And I continue to buy because I can generally dispose of the material not going into my collection for a reasonable portion of what I paid, usually as a slightly smaller, but more organized, "Box O' Stuff".

My perspective shows me a community of collectors that is solid, that is stable, and that gives me a sense of certainty that there will be a collecting community long after I am gone. If, among these people, there are some with the will, and with the means, then High Priced Material will remain High Priced. Investment? I can't speak to that because I will never be in that market. I collect because I enjoy the process of collecting and organizing and learning from people much more knowledgeable than I.

Market Value? That has little significance to me though it is fascinating to watch the ups and downs. Getting a window on what other people think is why I read this thread.
Edited by backroads - 09/20/2021 4:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6828 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My primary reason for caring what the stamp market is doing is because I change gears a lot collecting and use the proceeds for my new area(s) of interest. Is it a science? Heck no. But if you are smart about it you can actually end up even or ahead. Of course there is no way of predicting a pandemic or nuclear strike or other such bugaboos. But overall you can do well. Another story if you keep everything and I respect that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5520 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"very interesting thread " to make it more interesting .

Another thing to start watching for ......is items up for auction that don't sell or the opening price is too high to attach bidding . These are a additional clue to the condition of the market .This happens a lot with material that the auction firm owns ,sure they can roll it over for a auction or two but if they start to have too much of it then it hurts their ability to buy new material.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 97 / Views: 3,826Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05