Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Community Foundation Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 507Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
158 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pwscg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This stamp is supposed to be issued September 20. I received it today September 17.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3816 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If true pre-dates, then the best thing you can do is to apply ALL of them to envelopes and mail them to yourself TODAY from various places. Otherwise, by next week, these will be just like all the rest.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I know but I found that there's a very small market for that kind of thing. Plus I have a funeral to attend this afternoon so am short of time.

Thanks anyway.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
3816 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Then mail them tomorrow.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1198 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Order sent to warehouse on September 14th. Required delivery date was issue date but they arrived early. Wow! The two planned issues before this one were delayed till a later time, but obviously not because of the election. The issue date of this community issue corresponds with the federal election day of Monday, September 20, 2021.
And yes I would have said the same thing as John Becker did, as I told someone the same thing last year. It was the Diwalli issue and it made the front page of Canadian Stamp News. And Canada Post stated they would prevent things like that happening again. Oh well, nice to be able to get earlier dated covers with machine barcode at back proving human error of early release even if philatelic, as they should not be available at all.

Mike
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First of all my sincere condolences pwsgc.

Good for you but how the hell did you manage to place this order? There was absolutely nothing for this booklet on the Canada Post website at least not the times I consulted it (recently and even today)
I am also not convinced and do not see the interest of canceling these stamps before the date of issue, could someone elaborate on this philatelic aspect?

Pollux
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pollux,

I have a standing order so I get new issues automatically.

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To dispel any doubts, as far as I know, Canada Post never shows the back of a booklet on their website, so here it is ...

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
pwscg
How does the shipping cost is applied on this kind of purchase, there does not appear to be any on your invoice.
Pollux
Edited by Pollux - 09/17/2021 10:04 pm
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pollux,

There is no shipping charge applied to standing orders. Canada Post can, though, wait for several issues to come out before they send the stamps to you. They were doing this over the last year or so due to COVID so I was a bit surprised to get just the one issue this time.

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
8 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add robertstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not surprised. I Have received my order today and it is not the first time
that received my order before the date issue.
Pillar Of The Community
3816 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many serious First Day Cover collectors (especially exhibitors), actively seek pre-FDC release covers. While they may not be monetarily valuable, they demonstrate postal operations related to distribution, etc. From the APS Manual of Judging:

Today you have something fairly uncommon. Next week it will be normal. Maybe I am thinking as a postal historian and not a stamp collector, but ....
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A nice fairy stamp only to be seen under short wave lignt
Pillar Of The Community
3816 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did anyone actually mail any of these to document the pre-date distribution?
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,

Unfortunately, I did not. Friday was spent with funeral activities and I ended up being quite busy all weekend.

I couldn't just mail them since 99% of time I get the envelopes back uncancelled so I would have had to go to a post office to have the clerk hand cancel them first before actually putting into the mail. And there was just no time to do that.

Peter
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 507Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05