Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ship Mail Cancelation On This Australian Stamp?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 163Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
54 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add VanNessbullion to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Am I correct in going with what seems obvious, that the parcel this stamp rode traveled over the ocean?
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Common.
SHIP ROOM or SHIP MAIL ROOM
Mail sorting office to organise catching the next appropriate
vessel.

Author: Waroff49
From what I recollect, Ship Mail was not on the docks,but, in Melbourne's case in Spencer Street. It later became the International Mail Centre. Many of the overseas mail items were delivered to this centre for posting as most of Victoria's O/S mail originated in the Melb.CBD.

I also think many of the items delivered to the GPO with an O/S destination were just collected there and postmarked later at the Ship Mail Room.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 09/17/2021 6:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2500 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Basically, yes. The whole reads SHIP MAIL ROOM / MELBOURNE, the major sorting center for outgoing ship mail. So, foreign mail got separate handling as typical. Special marked mailboxes were also provided. There is also a Perth SHIP ROOM cancel, used similarly.

This type cancel continued to be used for a time even on foreign mail sent by air.

It is worth keeping but this is a fairly common cancel that is found on many, many different stamps. After all, Australia is quite far even from its closest neighbors.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VanNessbullion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, couldn't have asked for better information.
Grateful,
Brandon
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brandon.

"Askphil" Glossary

Ship: world's first stamp to picture a steam and sailing ship was New Brunswick's 12 1/2 (Sc.10).
Ship cancellation: a postmark applied to mail on board a ship, steamer .
Ship letter: letter carried by a private ship and bearing a rubber stamp or manuscript marking such as "Ship Letter," Loose
Ship Letter," or "Posted at Sea" with name of port of entry.
Ship mail: 1: first mail sorted aboard ship was on the Holyhead and Kingstown (H&K) packet on Oct. 1, 1860. 2: West
Indies mark.
Ship Mail Room: indication that a letter has passed through the foreign section of the post office on its outward trip.
Shipping company stamps: stamps issued by shipping firms to prepay the postage for mail carried by their vessels.
Shipping Postmaster: marking applied on mail using South African stamps cancelled on board ship in the harbors of Cape
Town(1906-72) or Durban (1906-48).
Ship Post Offices: first post offices aboard a ship were on the Columba and Iona, July 1879, on the Greenock-Ardrishaig
route.
Ship Postmark: letter carried on a private ship, usually delivered to a post office at the ship's port of entry.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unusual (For me)
SHIP MAIL SECTION
Information difficult

Author : agondoz
If I remember, another reason for posting this cover concerned the change from "Ship Mail Room" to "Ship Mail Section". From the few covers that I have seen, perhaps the "Ship Mail Section" marking was in use from 1965 to 1966.

Perhaps the use of a "Sea Mail Section" postmark ended in 1966?

Window envelope, passed through the Machine canceller upside down
then hand struck SHIP MAIL ROOM

Edited by rod222 - 09/17/2021 7:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VanNessbullion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222, crazy to think that a simple mistake/error is intriguing to me. And, the grander of such, even more so. What's wrong with me! Appreciate you.
Brandon
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 163Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05