Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Examples Of Barcode Obliterator Markings On Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 212Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Linus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From the depths of my USA postal history collection, I bring to light a couple covers to share with the club. They both have "OCR" in a circle with bars to obliterate an incorrect barcode at the bottom of the cover. OCR is the acronym for Optical Character Recognition, or Optical Character Reader.

The first cover was mailed 30-July-1993 from Cedar Rapids, Iowa to Des Moines, Iowa, but due to an incorrect barcode it ended up in Fort Dodge, Iowa where it was cancelled 2-August-1993 on the reverse. I think the OCR Barcode Obliterator marking was applied in Fort Dodge. What do you think?

The second cover has a similar, but different style obliterator. It was mailed 5-August-1993 from St. Paul, Minnesota to Des Moines, Iowa and routed to an unknown post office where the OCR Barcode Obliterator marking was applied. The reverse has a partial postmark, but the city is off the edge.

Does anyone else happen to have other examples of these OCR-in-circle-with-bars markings on cover? Do you have a Linn's article or further info on them?

Comments welcome,
Linus

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3800 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent intuition. There is indeed a Linn's article!

Bar code obliterators were written about by the late postal historian Richard B. Graham in his April 28, 1997 Linn's Column titled "Bad addresses may drive post office loopy". I loaned him a stack covers which he used to illustrate in the column, reproduced here from the article, since I cannot locate the originals at the moment:

I was able to find a remainder stack of very similar ones:

On a tangent about the ORC machinery, Dick Graham's article specifically references Paul V. Roling's article in the August 1985 issue of the American Philatelist titled "Here's How Those Optical Character Readers Move the Mail".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John

Thanks for showing some of the other types I had not seen before. The spiral-type handstamps and the XIXIXIXI types are new to me. I probably had that issue of Linn's in paper form back in the day, but I sadly had to send my "Great Pile" (as the late ikeyPikey used to say) to the green recycle bin. There were a lot of good articles in Linn's Stamp News. It was my main source of information before these stamp forums popped up, but I no longer subscribe to it.

Linus
Edited by Linus - 09/18/2021 12:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
3800 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   01:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linus, I tried to send you an email through the SCF system and it bounced. -John
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   01:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, I just sent you an email, try a reply to my email.

Linus
Learn More...
9750 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   06:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that Bobby has been working on the SCF email functionality and it may not currently be working. As a work-around, I have sent you guys an email with each other's contact info.
Don
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don.

John, I received your email, thank you for the information, I will print it out and put it with my two covers.

Linus
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 212Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05