Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Who Applies Registry Division Cancels On Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 196Next Topic  
Valued Member

Israel
37 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gum side to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As some posters may now know I research Palestine Mandate postal history but my questions are usually universal in their meaning: in the period of the 1920s-40s I see registered mail whose franks are sometimes cancelled by public counter postmarks and sometimes by the "registered" postmarks of that division; my question is, when/under what circumstance would those "registered" cancels be applied to mail - on the spot at the time of submission, sometime later by the clerk or a different department? Could registered mail be entered into a letter box and be cancelled later?

Thanks in advance for your inputs

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
719 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A general explanation is, subject to local variances and postal folks not following the rules:

Should be by the person first accepting the registered item. Then additional registered marking may be applied along the way by various registry division personnel. Lastly a registered mark is often applied by the office of ultimate delivery to note that it was received. At times, for various reasons, an en route upgrade to registered due to the contents, especially after they were determined by inspection, such as customs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 09/18/2021 7:32 pm
Valued Member
Israel
37 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Do you know if registered letters could also be left unpostmarked in letter boxes or did the sender have to submit it in person at the counter?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1209 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   04:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sender or their designate always had to submit the item in person, otherwise it was a breach of post office rules. Items left in letter boxes but marked "registered" would always go by normal post.
Pillar Of The Community
3800 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Items left in letter boxes but marked "registered" would always go by normal post.

I do not known about handling of registered mail in the UK, but the U.S. "Postal Laws and Regulations" volumes contradict this concept.

From the 1913 volume:

And from the 1948 volume:

It is clear, in the U.S., the post office expected all registered mail to be presented at a post office for mailing and otherwise erred on the side of caution when something was dropped in a street box.

Here is an item I have posted before:

Edited by John Becker - 09/23/2021 07:48 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 196Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05