Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Self Adhesive Mounts

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 730Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   11:02 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion modern hinges are a minefield and are not truly peelable the way vintage hinges are. I agree that it is possible to use very small amounts of moisture to minimize the potential for damage to the stamp/album page but when I buy hinged collections, I set the price I am willing to pay is based upon how it is hinged. Beware those collections that require you to soak the entire page just to safely get the stamps off of them, typically they are not worth the time it takes to remove the stamps. You can still buy vintage Dennison hinges and some folks will cut them in half to save money.

Split back mounts can damage mint stamps by leaving a mark in the gum. This typically occurs if the album is stored improperly; facedown and flat instead of standing up and/or is compressed tightly among other albums or in a slipcase.

Many prefer top loading mounts but improper handling or mounting these can also result in stamps moving or even 'getting away'. I doubt that this is a significant issue with a collector who understand how to handle an album but keep in mind that our albums often end up in the hands of the inexperienced.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hinges new and old leave marks on gum. Stamps are exposed on pages so subject to damage.
Split backs MAY leave a mark on gum but data is very anecdotal (not nearly 100%).
Top Loaders do not leave marks on gum but less secure the split backs but damage is anecdotal.

If one is going to use a hinge and get the gum disturbance, then a split back should offer no additional gum risk but better protects the stamp overall.

Al
Edited by angore - 09/21/2021 06:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5966 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   06:56 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, the stamp damage resulting from split-back mounts flows from the carelessness of the user. Too many people stick down both halves of the mount. And too many sloppily apply saliva or glue to the mount so that it damages the stamp by leaking through the gap and sticking the stamp to the mount.
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   06:58 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Split backs MAY leave a mark on gum but data is very anecdotal (not nearly 100%).
Top Loaders do not leave marks on gum but less secure the split backs but damage is anecdotal...

Hence why my post begins with "In my opinion".
Don
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   07:07 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the risks outlined above are 'user error' based.

I tend to comment in the context of posting on a public forum that is read by many folks. My intent is to prevent 'user error' via better informed people; by making folks aware of the potential issues and risk hopefully they will better be able to avoid the pitfalls.

I think that sometimes others read posts and think 'hey, I have used this for years and have not had an issue'. That is not the context of my posts nor would I challenge their experiences. I think that our hobby can always benefit from multiple points of view but I also think that it serves a good community purpose to note the potential hazards.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7122 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5966 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   08:33 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be a sermon on the mount, I suppose.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7122 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As with any decision, it usually gets down to picking your poison and your experience may vary with similar choices.
Al
Edited by angore - 09/22/2021 07:15 am
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 09/29/2021   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stlspidey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. Are there standard size Hawid mounts I can buy that would fit US horizontal and vertical stamps from 1900-1970? I hope that makes sense.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 730Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05