Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Epson V600 And Vuescan Notes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 335Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3151 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are a couple items I have discovered while using the Epson V600 / latest VueScan combo.

1. The maximum VueScan scan resolution in Flatbed (not transparency) mode is 3200 dpi. Epson Scan supports 6400dpi (optical resolution) and 1280dpi (interpolated). If you try to scan at 9600dpi (it is shown as an option) VueScan just stops and does not respond. Per Ed Hamrick, the 9600 option only works in transparency (film) mode. It works fine in Epson.

2. In the recent past VueScan added support for the Epson V600 available in Epson Scab as "show texture" option. Epson V600 has 2 lamps. VueScan offers multiple options regarding lamp control and this is the results of selecting the options.

Default - both lamps on
Left - both lamps on
Right - lamp closest to cover hinge on
All - both lamps on.

Ed Hamrick confirmed the above so you really just two choices: both lamps and lamp closet to hinge cover on.

I chose a Malawi stamp that that raised gold foil to test the lamp control effects on scans. You can see the difference. I suspect this would be useful to show paper textture.

Both all lamps (3 of the options)

Right lamp (lamp closest to hinge)
Send note to Staff
Al
Edited by angore - 09/19/2021 07:56 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   11:35 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While the angle difference is interesting, I don't know that either option is inherently better than the other. I suppose at ultrhigh resolution, using the different angles to contrast certain features or textures might prove useful, but at the resolution used in the images posted, I don't know what it would achieve.

That said, I still think the Epson V series (V500, V550, V600) are the best quality consumer scanners on the market for imaging stamps, covers, currency, etc. A 15-year-old V500 is perfectly useful today.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3151 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The scans do not do the stamp justice as the gold detail does not pop
In the scan.

Also VueScan did add a sharpening feature in recent past too.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
723 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try a scan with the stamps removed from the Vario protectors. I find that my Epson V550 with Vuescan does better with the naked stamp on the glass.
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   5:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is as follows.
I do not think that the VueScan app is an issue, 1200-1600dpi is the largest useful reflexive resolution of the V600, the higher resolutions are meant to be used for film scanning. Scanning at 1200dpi and then printing the image on a standard 300dpi printer will result in the printout being 4X the size for both axis. If a person needs to do some microscopic examination, then drop into the Epson scan app and have at it.

I guess it could be argued that Epson is using puffery in the way it touts the high optical resolution, but the V600 is a consumer grade device.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   6:02 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Try a scan with the stamps removed from the Vario protectors. I find that my Epson V550 with Vuescan does better with the naked stamp on the glass.

Agreed. That's how I do all of my scans.
Valued Member
New Zealand
45 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Epson state their scanner specifications in many places, in many ways. I agree it is nigh impossible to work out before you buy it, what the scanner can do. I have taken the image below from the Epson pdf advertising the V600 scanner.

It is infuriating (and I don't even own one!) that the "Hardware Resolution" is 6400 x 9600 dpi yet the listed "Optical Resolution" is only 6400 dpi (max). It sounds as if the stepper motor is capable of moving the sensor in smaller steps (9600 per inch) but the optical sensor is not capable of detecting any difference in the reflected light between such small steps. At least this particular Epson brochure does make it clear that you won't get more than 6400 dpi out of it (when flatbed scanning), even though you can of course try interpolating and fiddling in software as much as you like.

I agree with Don that the higher resolutions are usually for the transparency scanning, and that would seem to be exactly what is going on here. The optical sensor is ok for transparencies with the smaller 9600 dpi steps but not for reflective, and that is therefore what Vuescan offers.

I like the images with both lamps on, and when looking for "flyspecs" the higher resolutions are wonderful.

Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   05:51 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The V600 will do the higher reflective resolutions in their own application, it is just the third party VueScan does not support it. When you use the Epson app, it throws a warning that it will take a very long time. Without doing a firmware read, it is hard to understand exactly what is going on (i.e how many passes the CCD is doing).
But what we do know is that the V600 is an entry level (or consumer) scanner, Epson has other higher end scanners if folks want to generate uber-high res images.
Don
Valued Member
New Zealand
45 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   06:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, thank you for that information; very interesting. The V600, V700 and V750 models seem rather old now, by computer standards, being from 2009 and 2006. An yet nothing seems to have been released since that is any better? It is as if the makers decided 15 years ago that the home flatbed scanner market didn't need anything else.

Anyway, it is good to know that you can get these extra resolutions out of the older models if you use the manufacturers supplied software.
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   06:31 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Epson scanners use CCD technology but some other manufacturers use CMOS technology; both these components are used because they can quickly convert light into electrical charges. Most digital imaging is now done with CMOS but Epson chose to stay with CCD.

The commercialization of CMOS/CCD has come a long way since 1995 and I think they will squeeze more years out of them; note how far camera phones have come in the last few years (higher res at lower cost).

I think that laser scanning will be the next generation but like everything else the early versions will be costly. More info here https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...&oi=scholart

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3151 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Besides the difference with Epson Scan, VueScan should not hang when the option is selected and attempting to scan. The option should be removed or a pop up message displayed saying it not supported. I consider this a minor design bug but as someone from an R&D environment these can be lively discussions.

Al
Edited by angore - 09/21/2021 06:39 am
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   06:40 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Al,
Agreed. Typically 10% of software is the actual intended functionality while the other 90% is written to handle the exceptions. In this case Hamrick missed one of the exceptions. In their defense, they are trying to deal with supporting over 6000 different scanners, multiple operating systems and operating system versions.

For me, I'd be happy if everyone would just scan with their scanner lids closed and stopped "enhancing" their scans.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3151 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I discovered the VueScan issue, I was comparing the V600 max resolution output to a 24MP DSLR with macro lens. I found the DSLR provided better results (sharper to my eye).

I also noticed that some stamp details render better when the light is more off axix (not nearly perpendicular) to the stamp but this could vary depending on what one is trying to see. In my example, I was looking at screened values on Machins. It has been easier now that I can do tethered capture (camera attach to computer and image is saved on computer).

Al
Edited by angore - 09/22/2021 07:22 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 335Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05