Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cyprus And A Colour Quandary

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 209Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
818 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backroads to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Again, I must be missing something. Scott seems to list this design as A14 though it only appears to come as a Bicolour Issue. The 1/2 pi listed as green and deep green, #92, and is, I presume, the lower stamp.The country name in the upper stamp may, I suppose, be a slightly darker shade of green but I cannot find an issue listed as deep green in a single colour. What am I not seeing here?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1020 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1925 Green 1/2 piastre
The top one is bi-coloured.
The bottom one is a very pale green.
I think the clue is around the crown of the bottom stamp. The colour appears washed.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 09/20/2021 2:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
328 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that Scott doesn't distinguish between them. Best bet is to use SG for anything related to British Commonwealth (for example by the time you reach this stamp, SG has about thirty stamps more and Michel ten more, than Scott). I'll be able to check my SG in a few hours, when I get home.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
818 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that. I suspected that the top was a Bi Colour but they are so close to being the same that I, at least, have difficulty seeing it. Touch of clour blindness in the greens? The lower stamp is dramatically different and there are no varieties mentioned in Scott. I am beginning to wander if it is a colour changeling, though that is not terribly common in the green inks.
Valued Member
United States
328 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just looked, Stanley Gibbons does not recognize any significant shade variants for this stamp. They list it only as Cyprus (Crown Colony) #118 "1/2pi. green".
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The top one is the right color. The bottom one has faded probably due to how it was soaked off the envelope. I would describe it as a changeling.
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Learn More...
9750 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   08:46 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I would describe it as a changeling.

Agreed, anytime I see a color gradient across the face of a stamp I think changeling.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 209Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05