Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Twelve Cents Defective?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 519Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
46 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add josef61 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings. I would like your opinion on the stamp concerning the side holes on the left; are they part of some kind of perforation unknown to me or are they simple errors together with the anomalous cut of the stamp?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Josef, it looks to me like a mouse has been nibbling on it,

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Italy
46 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the joke. The little mouse had to be a great mathematician since the holes correspond exactly 10mm apart from the corners.
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   4:46 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a damaged stamp.

Quote:
The root of all superstition is that men observe when a thing hits, but not when it misses. FRANCIS BACON

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mice like stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6831 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Collecting Tip:

Do not store your stamps in peanut butter.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6315 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Badly damaged: perforations mostly trimmed off. The two tears/missing pieces could have happened at any point in the stamp's history, and they do not appear mysterious to my eyes.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 09/20/2021 6:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1532 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could be from mice, or insects, or staples, or any one of a number of things. But it is certain that the holes are not from anything to do with the stamp production process. As Don says, they constitute damage done to the stamp.
Valued Member
Italy
46 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your replies. I am not looking for a bargain of life with this stamp. BUT found a stamp in an album by a very knowledgeable collector of the United States sector, which after expert opinion I do not find, I remember, which said: defective with rare side holes, valuation 900 euro.I repeat the holes are not random,
it may be some type of perforation unknown to me for the moment, but I rely on you who know more than I. As you certainly do not understand the evaluation so high, it may be that the collector had discovered the reason for that defect . Excluding insects or various things, I know that the stamps were cut with scissors.
Could it be that when cutting the side, there were some holes in the print by mistake? Thank you for your interest.
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   06:14 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
josef61,
No, I think that you are being influenced by hopeful thinking based upon a old misidentification and an 'expert opinion that you cannot find'.

This community represents decades and decades of experience and freely offers assistance to help others better understand their stamps. But if you want to ignore this significant cumulative experience and chase a story, then spend the money and send the stamp in for a certification. Please let us know the results.
Don
Valued Member
Italy
46 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have full confidence in your considerations, and I do not intend to spend money on any appraisals.I have full confidence in your community.My is only a doubt due to the expertise, (I repeat unfortunately I do not find) that estimated the defective and rare stamp. greetings to all.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1532 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
josef, you can ease your mind by putting to rest all doubt with the knowledge that anyone who would say that the missing pieces from this stamp in any way add value or rarity is most certainly no expert.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6831 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have known when I saw "defctive" in the title. Talk about irony.
Valued Member
317 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp is a US Scott # 36. In fine condition (perfs complete on all sides, no thins, tears, etc) it would catalog for around $375 and sell for about half that on eBay. I'm guessing, based on the condition shown, yours would sell for <$10.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 519Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05