Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

(Mis)adventures In Philately

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,746Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently learned a valuable lesson that thankfully didn't cost me anything. I had bought from a good dealer mentor of mine a beautiful album of state duck stamps for essentially 5% of catalog value. The problem? It was only half a collection, Nevada through Wyoming. Where was the first half he had no idea as he'd never even gotten it. I purchased it and thought I could very easily flip it or keep it. Either way I'd be happy. I took it to a couple shows, put it on my or my dealer friend's table and though people would always say, huh? whazzat? And flip through it and be amazed that there were so many state ducks, they wouldn't buy it. One guy had the audacity to buy it, walk away, then come back and ask where in the catalog he'd find them. I told him only in the Scott Specialized for US. He was immediately taken aback and demanded his money back since he was buying it for his kids to play with and only wanted regular US BoB

So I took it to a couple more shows, always one guy showing interest but wanting to pay for it basically what I paid for it so I said no deal. I had settled on keeping it and building it out myself when at the last show I was at, the album wasn't even on the table and a guy I had shown it to the month prior asked about it. He flipped through and obviously liked it and said so what's your absolute bottom. At that point I kind of wanted out of the whole affair because I don't have lots of money to be throwing around being young and whatnot. I told him my bottom was the price I paid (since I had gotten a few other things in the original deal I felt I was slightly up anyway). He offered me $50 less and I said no and he walked away. 20 minutes later he came back and wrote me a check for what I had paid for it and walked out happy.

I have a bit of seller's remorse because it really was a beautiful collection, but I've learned that just because something is REALLY nice does not mean it's sellable in any way shape or form. Even if you think something is well within the realm of normal collecting (these aren't cinderellas by any means), you might be SOL when it comes to selling. I've made this mistake before with a German dealer's stock that I took a few pieces from and ended up selling for less than I paid. You live and you learn and I certainly have learned.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Call this thread a "lessons learned", a practice taken seriously in project management. We should all be able to learn from each other's misadventures to avoid them in the future, and perhaps even have a laugh about it... way after the fact.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
553 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had completed my collection of Federal duck stamps - all MNH nicely centered. Took out my hingeless album to show it to someone when one of the early stamps slipped out of the top opening mount. Instinctively I went to stop it and pinned it against the side of the mount which neatly sliced the stamp in half. Very expensive lesson.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of my self-inflicted blunders happened early, as a kid. A couple early lesson are: I accidentally left a mint block file with a dozen or more mint blocks in my dad's car on a hot muggy day. I had to soak them and recovered most but they weren't mint anymore. Another was when I was cutting postage from envelopes, only to discover that one of them had a souvenir sheet in it which was ruined. Since that I always double check for contents. Neither were what I would call high dollar events now, but at the time this was a hit to my stamp budget, out of my paper route proceeds. Both lessons stuck with me.

A more recent blunder was the purchase of a stock book full of stamps at a flea market, I was in a bit of a rush and didn't check it thoroughly. When I got home I found that over half the book were stamps that were stuck down on the manila stock pages. I never saw the seller again.
Pillar Of The Community
565 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Ok class, please raise your hands if you've dropped a stamp and rolled your chair back to pick it up only to discover that gravity and physics thought it funny to direct the stamp directly in the wheel path. Ah that's nice to see all those hands go up! And to the four of you in the back who use stationary chairs without wheels, you are dismissed."

I'm sure a few if you have also dropped a stamp or pile of stamps between your legs and instinctively closed your legs to trap them in an excellent show of kneecap-eye coordination. Yes, yes, such amazing show of acrobatics. Squish!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. Tongs make good chair wheel chocks too.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
289 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   6:00 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the subject of tongs, few people realize they can be lethal weapons...

I use the quality, sharp, long stamp tongs. At least 3-4 times a year I accidently stab myself with them.

I am not proud of this, and am thinking of entering a program to help myself with this problem.

Others have suggested a cork for the end of the tongs, la Ruprecht from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Have you ever tried to work a stock book with a pair of tongs that has a cork stuck on it?

Sign me,

Troubled in Iowa

Edited by johnsim03 - 09/22/2021 6:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6812 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you ever tried to work a stock book with a pair of tongs that has a cork stuck on it?

One time in Las Vegas.......
Valued Member
243 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes! Have rolled over a dropped stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   8:14 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've dropped tongs points down on a stamp.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add APS-ISWSC Member to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A failed adventure (to date): I have never seen a Stanley Gibbons, Yvert and Tellier, Barefoot or Michel catalog, despite being a long-time collector, and I would like to. So, just for curiosity I initiated a request for an inter-library loan for a Michel catalog from one of our local libraries this week. I have the impression that they are much different from the Scott which we have in the US. This was the reply from the library director:

"Unfortunately no library in the US lists having this and we cannot get things from overseas. Sorry."

Bizarre ...
Edited by APS-ISWSC Member - 09/22/2021 9:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
johnsim03: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels... That and 'Used Cars' (Kurt Russell) are among my many favorite movies!

APS-ISWSC Member: That is amazing!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3150 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously, the library network does not include philatelic libraries like APRL but not surprised that regular libraries do not have Michel.
Al
Edited by angore - 09/24/2021 06:33 am
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have the impression that they are much different from the Scott which we have in the US.

Kinda. For example, the Scott and Yvert multi-volume world catalogs aren't that different from each other. Where things really diverge is all the other stuff: Yvert has four volumes totaling 2,080 pages just on French stamp booklets (carnets); Michel has 472 pages on Switzerland, and 752 pages on German setentants. Gibbons has 400 pages on Australia.

Collectors of USA, and any US-based collector of worldwide, are perfectly served by Scott. But if you collect specific countries in anything but a casual way, I can never stress enough the utility of getting an SG, Michel, Yvert, or other as appropriate catalog for that country, era, or region.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2015 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many years ago I was examining and arranging a set of MNH definitive stamps on a glass table I used to use for stamping. Somehow, I accidentally created a puff of air which caused the second highest value to fly off the table and onto the floor. Immediately, one of my cats pounced on it and before I knew it, the stamp was ruined with cat spit and a deep fold.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,746Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05