Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Before I Toss Something That May Have Value To Someone Else.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 334Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add geobrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While I will eventually post some inherited items which may be truly collectable, I want to confirm what a local shop told me today (by phone). Is it true that a post-marked stamp has little to no value to the collecting community? See the attached image.

My dad often kept mailed documents in their envelopes. Going through his stuff, I've come across several over the years. The attached image is a sample of 4 different envelopes (stacked).

Should I just throw them out? I've already scanned anything with a sentimental value and I don't want the keep them but I don't want to just throw them away if they have some sort of historical value to someone. What do you think?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it true that a post-marked stamp has little to no value to the collecting community?

75% of the time, this is correct. But it is not universally true. In some cases, a used stamp is more valuable that a fresh, never used example. Or, canceled examples are the only ones known (usually the case for early 19th century US stamps). And sometimes, it's actually the cancel itself that is the valuable thing. This may be the result of a post office only being open for a few days, or when a stamp gets withdrawn very quickly after its introduction, but someone was able to mail a letter with it. Or, if the cancel shows it was carried on a zeppelin, or by catapult or balloon mail.

There are collectors who go after nothing but cancels of a certain type or from a certain place. Others who collect mail ("covers") of a specific route, time, or event. Occasionally, the only known example of a stamp is found used, on a cover.

These appear to be Sc 657, 1058, and 1044, all from 1954, and aren't worth enough new or used to buy a pack of gum, sorry to say. Someone else will have to opine on the cancels themselves, though. Maybe something there, maybe not.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by classic_paper - 09/22/2021 08:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
3542 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting barrel cancels on the top and bottom envelopes. See http://goscf.com/t/42597
United States
2 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add geobrick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
classic_paper and jogil, Thanks for the reply.
I'll save the envelopes for a bit. At least until I can take the actual collectables to someone to evaluate. I'm not expecting too much from the collection of stamps or coins. Some of the coins are ones made by the Franklin mint or similar types of manufactured collectables so I'm not sure how serious a collection it was. Of course I'm sure that even a manufactured collectable could someday for whatever reason, have some real value.

My concern would be throwing it all away knowing someone out there would say "You threw away that!". So if these things have any value to anyone, I'd rather they have it than the landfill.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 334Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05