Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited Collection Questions

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,240Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StampingIsLife to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all! I am hoping someone can help me identify some stamps and give advice on what I should do with this inherited collection. This is a collection of over 92 years my grandfather has worked at and enjoyed.I have to help my family sell it. While I've been working on it, I started to really like it. I want to continue collecting and hopefully my family will allow me to keep some so I can go down that road. Right now though, I have to find a way to sell these stamps at a price my family will be ok with. With all that said,I'll describe the collection. There are around 400 books. Mostly stock books. Some albums.They are meticulously organized and include what seems like every country there is.There are also several (maybe like 30 or 40+) boxes of loose stamps in glassine mostly organized by country. Then there are folders with stamps that he purchased. There are envelopes with stamps on them or corners of envelopes with older stamps. I'm overwhelmed!Help?!? I have included pics of stamps I am curious about and what the collection looks like. Thanks all!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Spain
303 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
The Spanish stamp is the 2 reales orange, Edifil 14.
It is priced at about $ 5,000, but with that image I think it is 80% false. To sell it, you would have to certified by an expert.
The Turk (Ottoman Empire) is upside down.
Regards.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1048 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The black stamp is a "Penny Black." From this picture, it is impossible to determine the plate or its condition. It has rather tight margins but a nice Maltese Cross cancellation.
That catalogue value of 320 is for an example with decent margins, but a couple of tenners should be possible.
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, what a trove. I would love to look through such a massive collection. Take your time. Get Scott catalogs from library or buy on e-bay. Take notes on stamps you think might be special. Scan better items and show us, we can help.
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, unless you get the help of a professional, you have a ton of work ahead to organize, determine where there is value and how to sell it all. Could be hundreds, could be hundreds of thousands (unlikely, but maybe). If I were you, unless you have time for a real hard challenge, I'd contact an auction house or two (daniel kelleher, siegal, raritan, rasdale, dutch country auctions, cherrystone, harmers, paradise valley stamp company, or a local stamp dealer and see if they'd be able to send someone out to give you an estimate.
To get the value out of it, someone would have to break it into much smaller, clearly identifiable pieces, price it, take pictures, market it and have the patience to sell it on eBay or hipstamp, or.... packing and shipping alone (as 1 lot) would cost a fortune in itself. Most of us would love to have a look at a hoard of that size, but sadly most of us are not nearby to Ohio (I'm in Washington for instance). Best wishes.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4482 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know about Fusco Auctions in Willoughby,Ohio as a possible place to start? I know Paul Fusco passed away in 2019.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6822 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As others have suggested contacting a couple of major auction firms is the way to go based upon your pics. And no matter what do not sell this material outright since you really have zero idea of the value contained within. I see a Scott Specialized catalog in one photo and suspect that there is real value in this material.

The upside of an auction firm such as Kelleher is that they make their commission money extracting the highest bids and as someone else said, they know how to lot and market it properly.

The wild card is what if any items in this material are deserving of being sold on their own. Single stamps and covers etc. that have substantial individual value. For some of those items you may want different auction firms with different specialties to handle them.

If you want to be diligent in getting fair market value for the material you will absolutely have to do some real work and get a feel first for what there is.

I would suggest posting many more pics here of early US and anything else that seems to have been treated differently than other material. Put into a card by itself as opposed to into a glassine and into boxes. Items mounted in albums.

People here will steer you in the right direction(s) if you provide more to work with.
Valued Member
378 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would love to be able to dive in to that!

Rogdcam is correct though in more photos will solicit more information.

Would also suggest investing a par of stamp tongs. If you potentially have valuable material, you don't want to use your hands on expensive material/old paper.

The blue Canadian stamp is a Scott# 176. Could worth a hundred +/- if never hinged. The 3C Canadian stamp is a Scott 109 - would guess this would sell in the $5-20 range depending on hinged vs NH. (And take my or anyone else's suggestion of value as a rough estimate; or if you can identify what you have, check eBay and Hipstamp as a rough guide to fair market value.)

Good luck!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
954 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the Canadian Admiral with lathework in the picture is typical of the collection, then you definitely have some quality there. Good advice above and good luck!
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please note: Keep in mind - Catalog value/Retail price/Buy It Now prices are often unrealistic, and in most cases what you can sell at is much, much lower than Catalog/List Price (very rarely equal to or higher)
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampingIsLife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the great advice! My next question is, if I continue to post pics, should I keep it on this thread or start a new one?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1611 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Post pics right here - Looking forward to seeing more

Best of luck with this
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampingIsLife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's more!

Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would start by looking for a binder/ file of invoices. Every serious collector retains invoices and certificates. This is a serious collection.
That would be a starting point in my opinion. Look for certicates and invoices.
Regards
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
954 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More good, solid mint Canada here, nice to see.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampingIsLife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's something interesting. Most of this notebook is filled. I have no idea how to interpret it. Anyone?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,240Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05