Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited Collection Questions

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,253Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampingIsLife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I absolutely will post about how it goes with the auctioneer. Hopefully he is honest. So far we have seen 2 guys. Neither of which were auctioneers. Last month a guy from Ohio came to my grandparents house. He offered $1800 for around 8 books. I countered $2000 and took it immediately. One of the books was China. I'm still obviously just starting, but had I known how valuable China stamps can be, no way I would have a let that go down. A couple weeks ago I went to Chicago with 2 other family members. We rented a Uhaul, loaded the whole collection, and went to meet this guy. It took 3 and half hours and he just blew through it and gave us an offer we felt was far below its possible value. He wanted more albums and less stock books. Was frustrating. A lot of time and money wasted. Keeping my fingers crossed the next guy works out better. Belgium stamps coming up next post
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by StampingIsLife - 09/25/2021 12:59 pm
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   1:02 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like anything in life, allowing someone to cherry pick will give you a quick sale but leave you with material that is harder to disposition.
Don
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampingIsLife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some Belgium stamps. Thoughts? Thanks.

Edited by StampingIsLife - 09/25/2021 2:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   2:22 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many years ago, when I was selling records, I visited an ex-pirate radio DJ and cureent dodgy importer/exporter, prospectively to buy his collection. He had a box of demos of UK issues of Motown singles, which I never got to see, as my offer for the main part of his collection was a fraction of what he'd been offered by a Dutch dealer. I raised an eyebrow or two at the price he'd been offered. A few weeks later he called us again. The dealer had bought the Motown box and trotted off to Holland with it, but never returned for the rest.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampingIsLife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoffha, that is very interesting!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1198 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$2000.00 for eight books! Sounds like he may have well cherry picked all the cream and left fluff! With lower value. A complete collection of mint never hinged China from the 50's to 80's could possibly have brought in close to that amount alone at auction - commission. But we shall never know! Take your time! Dont sell yourself short.

And it is unfortunate you did not find this group earlier or do more research first before selling anything. Best of luck.
Edited by No1philatelist - 09/25/2021 4:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would advise taking your time and not being in rush to sell anything unless you are offered a price that you can't refuse or you have a better idea of the total worth.

People who go through collections for a living can often get a sense of what is in there and the type of collector your relative was in general fairly quickly.

By this I mean whether he was a serious collector with a theme or a plan or whether he was an accumulator. I get mixed signals by the stamps you have shown. The Canadian you first showed looked nice and I suspected that some of them were never hinged due to attached selvege. The later items I see strike me differently including the stock sheet of early Belgium with nonetheless a few with obvious major flaws such as missing corners.

Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampingIsLife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How do you guys determine whether a certain type of of cancel makes something worth more or less? I have mostly observed that it seems to bring value down. Are there types of cancels that raise the value?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cancellations are a huge, intricate study area on its own. More complex than stamps and it's a matter of finding catalogs and research that has compiled that information. The American Philatelist has had a couple of good stories over the past year or so looking at 19th century cancellations from NYC. I am sure it took the author years to compile.
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
90% of the time, cancelled stamps are worth less than never-used. In some cases, the cancel is significant: for example, a stamp was released and withdrawn very quickly, so used versions are extremely rare, the canceling post office wasn't open long, there's an event or uniqueness tied to it (zeppelin/catapult/ship/balloon mail), or the type or design of cancel is rare. As '98 said, it's a whole unique field of its own.

As far as the collection, don't be in a hurry to sell it off. You're selling short the efforts of the original collector, and you're shorting yourself potentially (tens of) thousands of dollars.
Edited by classic_paper - 09/28/2021 5:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampingIsLife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sound advice guys. Much appreciated! Funcitypapa, that is a really good observation. If you were to look through everything you would probably find that it is pretty mixed in terms of quality. I think my grandfather was a man who did things his way. For example, the guy we saw in Chicago assumed that bc most collectors, if not almost all organize things 100% chronologically in terms of albums(right?) He was so set on just being done that he missed several books with older stamps in the back. Interestingly, the albums are meticulously organized by country alphabetically, yet they seem to be MOSTLY chronological. Typically it goes by year. He has albums that start out with the older stuff and like most gradually go up to more recent, but then on the last few pages he will have more old stuff. Maybe he just loved it so much that he probably just appreciated any stamp regardless and wanted his collection to be versatile.The range of bad to good quality is so broad which makes this about 10 times more overwhelming.

Edited by StampingIsLife - 09/28/2021 5:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampingIsLife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

What do you guys think about this one?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1076 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
U.S. Scott Catalogue number 409 or 482, depending upon whether or not the paper is watermarked, with Schermack Type III private perforations for use in a stamp affixing machine c.1920s. Very common, low value stamp. Looks like some abrasions by the toga rope/button and opposite the forehead which reduces desirability/value. It is also misaligned as it was fed from the affixer. The two elongated slots on more desirable copies would show on both sides of the stamp. Learn more about identifying U.S. issues here:

https://stampsmarter.org/index.html

https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/1847Home.html
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6828 Posts
Posted 09/29/2021   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The OP's alpha post to start this topic was looking for selling advice. Three pages in we learn that somebody had previously been contacted and purchased 8 books for $2000. In all likelihood the die was cast at that point for how this would end. The best material likely walked out the door and there is a lot of other stuff left to dispose of. Oh to be a fly on the wall of the room where those 8 books were processed.
Edited by rogdcam - 09/29/2021 12:19 am
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 09/29/2021   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StampingisLife: The little tabs on the Belgium stamps were used to denote whether or not to deliver the mail on Sunday. If I recall correctly, on (attached) was yes, off (detached) was no.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,253Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05