Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

#333 Or 359 ? A Little Help Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 419Next Topic  
Valued Member
South Africa
39 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rafmal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi guys , firstly I must say that you guy have taught me to be a little bit better at stamp collecting , than I was . but still no comparison to you'll.
i recently bought a good collection of stamps (at least I think so) and im starting to research them , and I have 2 by 3 cent perf 12 , D/L wmk , the paper I can see are different and feels diff , even the colour is off. so I got stuck here.
so guys some help in ID please

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
South Africa
39 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
well thank you guys. great help from all that viewed this.
cheers , lets have a great day
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33024 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Perfin WP (P with Serrifs)....unknown to me

Other WP are
Western Pacific Railroad Co., Oakland, CA
West Penn System, Clarion, PA
Wyman, Partridge & Company, Minneapolis, MN
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7645 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...well thank you guys. great help from all that viewed this....

Hi rafmal, and sorry not to jump on this immediately. First, you need a bit better picture, and get rid of that ugly paper. Please make it a black background. And also, please let us know what catalog you are using.
As for the color being off, they both look sort of bleached, like being in the sun too long?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
3800 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
sorry not to jump on this immediately.

Being first isn't always being best. I find the best bowl of chili is the last from the pot after it has simmered all day.

This stamp was among the workhorse stamps of the 1910s and early 1920s, produced in huge numbers including the stresses of wartime printing. It will vary quite a bit in shade in addition to the difference among flat, rotary, and offset printings, and the changes due to a century+ of storage and handing. Bottom line, I would not get too caught up in the minor color differences. You have the perforation rate and the watermark determined, which is a huge way toward a final ID.

The perfin is WP/Co, note the top of the "C" under the W, and of course the lower case "o" does not show at all.
Attributed to Pyrene Manufacturing Co of New York City.
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is your original question the title of your post? Not a 359.
If so then the answer is negative unless you send to expertise and the reply is positive
Regards

Edit for clarity
Edited by GMC89 - 09/23/2021 10:50 am
Valued Member
South Africa
39 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ Petert4522/ John Becker . thank you for your comments im sorry I took so long to reply , I been under the weather. well actually I don't have a Catalog. im doing all my research online from were ever I can find my info but mostly on this site im reading old post and trying to learn from there.
Becker thanks man , so there is a possibility that it is a #359.
because of double WMK and perf.
thanks a lot guys here are some more photos on black paper. let me no what you'll think
sorry some of the pictures are long due to cropping. hope it helps

Valued Member
South Africa
39 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222 , I dont no much about the Perfin , it will be a long time before I get there and with the fancy cancels. thank you
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33024 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rafmal,
PERFINS (PERForated INitials) are Fun, you shall get the hang of them in time.

Sharp eyed John, noticed the top punctures of the "C" I missed
and identified the stamp was used by the PYRENE company

(They manufactured Fire extinguishers)
Edited by rod222 - 09/26/2021 07:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6763 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My dearest Rafmal - Even though scanning potential bluish paper stamps on an orange background is recommended I think in this case you can save some effort. You do not have one or two 359's to add to the Siegel census which contains four examples and one on cover (now in doubt).
Valued Member
South Africa
39 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rafmal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks I dont mind if its not ..i just now need to learn how to see the difference in paper and a hol lot more. but thanks to the RODs...i will get there. cheers guys
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 419Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05