Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Identify - 1c 1851 Strip Of 3

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 553Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jamesg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've looked at stampsmarter and swedish tiger and I just am not sure on the identity of these. I'm thinking scott #6, but not certain.

Thanks in advance - Jim

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a plating reference for these?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still clueless, I can't really tell what if any recuts are there, etc...I see the 3 consecutive guide dots, and appears to be col0-co2 from left side, but...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but this nice strip of three is not #6 or 6b. If you have a Scott catalog handy, what the illustration for #6/type Ia shows but does not mention is a flaw/gouge below the "U" of "U.S."; type Ic may or may not show that flaw. Further, the balls tucked in the scrolls at bottom are missing/removed here, so these cannot be type Ia or Ic. Also, I believe the two left stamps are cut away too much at bottom sides - Ia should look very much like a type I but with just slight bits of the design gone to make one suspect that it is not a type I.

Type Ia only come from the bottom row of plate IV (both left and right panes) along with a couple of the Ic on the right pane bottom row.

The plating reference is probably still The United States One Cent Stamp of 1851-1857 by Stanley Ashbrook (2 volumes).
Edited by hy-brasil - 09/24/2021 11:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So nobody knows what this is?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you provided a larger image (or a link to one), it would give someone the ability to do a proper type identification, perhaps confirmed by plating. I think it'll largely come down to whether there are recuts at the top or not.

Sorry, but I would think you would know not to expect instant answers here. It is obviously going to depend on who's online and sees this thread. You might have already scared away the real experts here by making the presumption that this could be #6.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you need some instructions on how to do a better scan, read this article on Stampsmarter. (It is written specifically for SCF uploads.) The better resolution, the easier it is for others to help you.

https://stampsmarter.org/Learning/SCF/help1.html
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I apologize if I scared anybody off with a presumption of knowledge. I really have no expertise with these and really poor eyesight. I only have #7 and #9's (as purchased from and identified by others) to go by in hand, and these don't seem to look exactly like either one to me.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
251 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just based upon the guide dots, it appears to be a strip from 61-63R2, making all of the stamps Scott #7 (Type II). Positions 81-83R2 has almost the same guide dot locations, but the guide dot is just a bit lower on 61R2, so that would be my bet. There are plate marks in all of those positions, so if you can provide a better scan, it should be easy to confirm.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work Widglo. I spent 2 hours looking it over, narrowed my quest to 61 R1 L (?)
41 R2 , 61R2, 81R2
I was hoping one of the experienced platers would join in just to see if I was anywhere in the ball park.
Thinking this should be an easy quest, as a margin triple with guide dots to narrow it down.
Regards
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2414 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The strip is 61-62-63R2, all Ty II, Scott #7.

Pretty strip.
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You all very much. I will attempt to post a better scan pretty soon just to see if I can figure out how to with my new scanner. May be a couple of days to get setup and learn though. Thank You!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 553Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05