Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Decipher What Kind Of Three Cent.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 553Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
46 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add josef61 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello.Can you help me? Not having a specialized United States catalog I cannot understand if among these stamps there could be something interesting or if they are to be discarded. Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Italy
46 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all the same for your non-replies. Surely something personal towards me? Anyway, a greeting to all.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Take no offense by non-replies.

I'll give it a shot.

Stamp
1 2
3 4
5 6

From what I can see with those scans/photos...

1: Appears to be Type I (outter Frame all the way around) Looks Imperf to me.
2: Appears to be Type II (outer frame on sides only. No line at top and bottom)
3: Appears to be Type II (outer frame on sides only. No line at top and bottom)
4: might be the same but it's trimmed real close to tell for sure.
5 & 6 are trimmed too close to be sure. It looks like there is a trace of perfs left on the right margin of #6. #6 was also on a document judging by the protection roller marks and the color has been changed by effects of environment or handling.

I'll leave the perfs and color to you but this should help narrow it down a bit. The Identifier in Scott's US Socialized or the 1847 section on StampSmarter will help you pin it down.

Note Added: Many public libraries have the Scott's catalogs in their stacks (or they can get it for you). Otherwise use StampSarter.
Edited by jconey - 10/14/2021 3:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A10 3 orange brown, type I, imperf....................SC# 10
A10 3 dull red, type I, imperf. ......................SC# 11
A10 3 rose, type I, perf. 15 1/2......................SC# 25
A10 3 scarlet, perf. 12 (Special Printing)............SC# 41 <--- not likely at all.
A21 3 dull red, type II, perf. 15 1/2 ................SC# 26
A21 3 dull red, type IIa, perf. 15 1/2 ...............SC# 26a
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm betting #6 came off or out of a brown envelope.
Edited by jconey - 10/14/2021 4:51 pm
Valued Member
Italy
46 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very kind. Congratulations for your knowledge on the subject.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33072 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What may be the tractor marks on stamp 6
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222. A device like used to protect checks from being altered. There are several types and are also used on documents bearing stamps.

Edited by jconey - 10/15/2021 08:08 am
Valued Member
Italy
46 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I forgot to tell you that about a year ago I had already posted this discussion of this stamp noting different opinions among dear friends of the forum. Kindly you can look at the above discussion to help me understand what it means in technical terms " poke "which was used in the aforementioned stamp issue. However, your analysis is very clear and concise. Are these roller stamps easy to find, or are they sought after in collectables? I take this opportunity to thank you
Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would lean against this being one of the various "revenue protector" devices. This stamp was generally replaced by its perforated cousin in 1857 and demonetized in late 1861 (or yes, possibly a trimmed perforated stamp). Also, the various civil war revenue taxes did not begin until a year later, so no overlap. The inked postal cancel is also a giveaway that we should be looking for a postal solution, rather than a revenue solution.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, I understand what your are saying. Have you seen these types of marks (protector) in use on regularly posted stamps before? I can't say I have but I'm open to the possibility. As this was the period when grills were being experimented with or applied, could this be related? Say a local post masters attempt or do you have other thoughts.

Josef61: These are not rare by any means and can be found on eBay and other sites and I have not spent a lot of time looking but when I have noticed them I don't see a lot of them, just a few here and there.
Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grills on US stamps are a decade later.
Valued Member
Italy
46 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I apologize if I make incorrect observations, I have been a philatelic hobby for a few years now. I always trust in your knowledge on the subject.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, started with the National Bank Note Company in the late 1860's... as a postal program but it was to address a problem that they'd been struggling with for years. That's why I posed the question of a local post master's attempt. But I have nothing to offer other than supposition.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 553Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05