Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finland Unknown Postmarks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 210Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
818 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backroads to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Two interesting postmarks turned up for me in my last purchase. The first is most likely as common as dirt but interesting none the less. I noticed that the city postmark is on a Russian, not a Finnish Stamp. It is from that period of time when the base designs were very similar, so I suppose it happened frequently. What would be interesting to know is whether or not Russian stamps were sold and used in Finland at that time.

The second stamp has a cancel where I can identify only a single English word. "Expedition" Any idea of the story here?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
1923 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe "Réexpedition" (french word for "Redirection")
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3189 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Russian stamps were used in Finland officially during those years. There is even a "mourning stamp" that was privately released in Finland with a 1 penni denomination on the back to protest the inability of using Finnish currency stamps in 1900.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
818 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. The French translation of the word does make sense, particularly if an extra fee were required for the service and the stamp were cancelled after it had been paid.

And it does explain why the Russian Currency stamp was cancelled with the Finnish town name. A very useful bit of information. Billsey, I think this may be the label you refer to. I knew it was in protest of Russian rule but I had not realized that it was more specific to Postal Issues.

Valued Member
Spain
303 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
Russia annexed Finland in 1908, becoming the Grand Duchy of Finland, an autonomous entity whose Duke was the Tsar of Russia himself. At the end of 1917 Finland became independent.
There are no Finnish stamps from 1908 to 1917, only Russian stamps ,at least officially.
Regards.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is an example from the later printing. They weren't allows to have Finnish currency on the stamp side, so they 'hid' it on the back. :) The earlier printing had a different font for the '1' on the back. I've got lots of the ones like yours and none of the earlies so far...
Edited by billsey - 09/25/2021 6:15 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 210Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05