Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postage Found In Yard Sale- Old 3 Cent US Washington 1867

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 570Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampcollector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Can you help me with this. I have a very interesting letter envelope with a 1867 George Washington Stamp
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What's your question? It's a relatively standard cover, I find them in dollar boxes all the time. Looks like it was cancelled in Baltimore… Anybody got anything else?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
366 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Emily T Thayer (b.1848, d.1896), daughter of Collins Thayer, never married, buried Elmwood Cemetery, Norfolk,VA. Her sister Susan A. Thayer married Charles Guild and moved to Baltimore where she died in 1899.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Willwood. I love that antique script and now you have added to the story. 48 years at time of death in her 13 year when the Civil War broke out. Makes me think.
Regards
Pillar Of The Community
3971 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your stamp is a Scott #65, issued in the fall of 1861 as the workhorse letter-rate stamp of the 1860s. Absolutely huge quantities were printed. Your envelope appears from 1863 based on the faint year date written sometime later to the left of the cancel. This would also be consistent with the blue cancel which Baltimore was using then, rather than 1867 as the title line suggests.

I agree with oldboldandbrash, the monetary value is quite modest.

Yes, the script is very attractive!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
366 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I might question the 1863 date, as I am not sure who would be delivering the mail between Baltimore and Norfolk at that time.
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcollector28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the help! Awesome stuff!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7629 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Norfolk was in Union hands by May of 1862, so mail delivery was not a problem.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 570Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05