Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Guys Make Of This "Waffle"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 523Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jconey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not an aficionado of cancels per se, but I've never seen one quite like this.

Is this a private security grill cancel/embosser like a office would use on documents?

A document protector like banks used for checks?

Send note to Staff
Edited by jconey - 09/25/2021 08:56 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been looking for the device that made the impression but can't find one with the same pattern.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I might have found something like it in my own archives... long forgotten box of stuff left over from my Dad's desk. At least its the same pattern. Most that I see online seem to be a staggered pattern. These were run across the amount on a check to prevent alteration.

It's similar, but this one is not really the same size as the one on the stamp.

This tool dates back to the 60's more than likely.

Edited by jconey - 09/25/2021 5:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   2:14 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are these, but they carry a risk of strawberries and cream on the stamps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TAMUME-Sto...93598&sr=8-5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Letgo my eggo.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In an engineering sense, this type of diamond pattern, is referred to as KNURLING

Always found on the shaft of micrometers, to enable a fine / light touch.
Edited by rod222 - 09/25/2021 5:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jconey, I think you answered your own question. Nice research!

Since these (R152) were used on tons of bank checks, the grill cancel makes sense for invalidating the check, too. Perhaps like with the plastic gizmo, it would be used to prevent altering the money amount. So, the cancellation of the stamp might have been incidental or purposeful. The stamps were supposed to be cancelled but many exist on checks without being cancelled.

Edited by hy-brasil - 09/25/2021 5:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The waffling pattern is applied to documents. In this case as a check protector. It would be easy to have a revenue stamp get the same pattern. (Excuse the exposure, but I wanted the raking side lighting to emphasize the waffle pattern.)

They were made with devices similar to this one:

(Image of the embosser was borrowed from eBay several years ago to post in an earlier thread asking about the same effect.)

Edited by John Becker - 09/25/2021 6:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great info and pics John. Thankyou.
Edited by Inkmanno1 - 09/26/2021 08:56 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As an aside,
I clicked the "Like" button on this thread.
Does it remain on the thread? (I notice it has gone back to zero)
If so how is it used, if at all?
Curious
Thanks.

Edited by rod222 - 09/26/2021 8:22 pm
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   8:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rodney,
The 'like' button applies only to Facebook and as far as I know is not used on SCF itself.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah! Thanks Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1198 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, interesting little countertop device you show for using on checks. The embossing plates actually look similar to the jaws used in vices to hold items in place.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, very similar to the jaws in my vice.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 523Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05