Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Next? Need Some Advice

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 646Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spanish African Colonies done already? Then go with Belgian, British, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese colonies and settlements in Africa. It could be an amazing collection: "European Colonial Powers in Africa, 18xx-19xx."

Or, if China is really where you want to go, how about Hong Kong? Gives you China (more or less), and a focused place to start.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by classic_paper - 09/25/2021 8:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6763 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are stuck on China I highly recommend reading the following link, especially the section titled "Stamps I Want to Buy":

https://chinesestampbuyer.com/stamps-i-want-to-buy
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
54 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Newfoundland offers handsome stamps and reasonable prices on most. Iceland also offers good looking stamps but would cost more to complete. Or you might consider a "one from every country" collection. There are about 400 or so entities that have issued stamps. There are several threads available on this website that would help you get started. The vast majority of stamp issuing entities are readily available, but some are quite challenging.

Let us know what you choose and why.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
775 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about something like some Portuguese Colonies? There are plenty of those in Africa, and a few in Asia, too. Lots of history there, also.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given your interests I have a few suggestions. French North Africa (Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria) could be a nice complement to Spanish Colonies in Africa. If you like those, you may consider other French territories in the area such as Chad, French Sudan, Niger, and Mauritania. If you end up liking some of those French territories you might then consider Syria and Lebanon, or the Andorras.

For Spanish-related territories that might be interesting, perhaps consider Cuba, Philippines, or Puerto Rico which have the classic look you mentioned earlier and would still be within your Spanish-themed collection.
Edited by shermae - 09/25/2021 11:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1187 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   10:53 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the most fun post I've see here in a while. I searched for various of these suggestions to see many very cool stamps. I mean, check out, "St. Pierre and Miquelon" - very interesting stamps. I've made halting attempts at starting a new country, but I haven't gotten hooked. But there are some very interesting suggestions here...
Edited by rlsny - 09/25/2021 10:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another idea... have you considered a world wide, or partial for a topic instead of a country? Like for example space stamps or train stamps, native art, etc... or US Presidents on stamps from communist countries? ( kidding, probably not a lot of them )...
Spain
3 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metagonia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everybody, thank you very much for your help.
Thanks to some suggestions I have discovered a lot of new stamps I didn't know.

The idea of CHINA was strong, but after studying the possibilities I removed it from my mind. Czechoslovakia seemed like a good option; I loved some of the stamps.
I wanted something different from African colonies or Spanish Overseas territories, so I discarded some ideas.

After reading a comment about Hong Kong, I thought... Why not MACAU? It is a Chinese territory controlled by Portugal. It sounds interesting. I was looking for their stamps and they have the classic look I love.

Maybe I will try them...

THANK YOU EVERYONE, YOU ARE AWESOME.

Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add APS-ISWSC Member to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you made a good decision on China. I collect China, but, it's not simple, especially compared to Spanish Africa if you don't know the language and, ideally, geography. Macau seems like it would be very interesting to pursue seriously.
Edited by APS-ISWSC Member - 09/27/2021 07:24 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 646Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05