Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Transvaal Post Card - Thanks But What Is It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 201Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jhlovell to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received this Transvaal post card in an auction lot. Love getting unusual items. Can't stand not being able to catalog it. Does anyone have any kind of a catalog number for this and perhaps approximate value. Thanks as always. It's a new one for me.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3189 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is on the Back ?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nothing on back - unused - no divider

Jeff
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found some that were labeled as H&G 2A. It was dated as from 1894.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Petert4522 has better eyes than I do; I can't quite tell which one this is even from the blowup. These have the stamp issue designs, the earlier has two shafts in front of the wagon, the second has a single pole.

The only catalog I know for these is the worldwide Higgins & Gage catalog which has not been updated in many years. That hardly matters for this postal card.

With the toning I think I see around the edges, figure this at a couple of dollars. Mint cards of that time in general are not very scarce since even stationery from "exotic" locations was offered to collectors at the time.
Edited by hy-brasil - 09/25/2021 5:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3189 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This would be a : Higgings & Gage 2 type from 1894. e bay 6-7$
the wagon has 2 shafts in the front H&G 2a has only one and is more expensive.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone - you guys are all terrific at responding to queries. And yes indeed with magnifier it has two poles in front. Into the book it goes. Thanks as always

Jeff
Edited by jhlovell - 09/25/2021 4:55 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33071 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you guys are all terrific at responding to queries.

Jeff,
we need your response here, you just go quiet
http://goscf.com/t/78418#707215 br /
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff, thanks for showing us interesting things.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be a single tree or double tree in front of the wagon.
Regards
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 201Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05