Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trading Stamps Resources

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 1,649Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   03:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a copy of the Feb 1, 1999 edition of Mongan's catalog (this is the first catalog in the Calverton Creations Cinderellas Series). In the Preface he mentions that the catalog should be considered a "work-in-progress". Based on the Table of Contents, Mongan had laid out 17 chapters for his trading stamps catalog, as follows:

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Effective Pages
Preface and acknowledgements

PART I- INTRODUCTION
1.* Scope
2.* General notes
3. History, references and bibliography

PART II- CATALOG
4.* Description explanations
5.* Indices and cross-references
6.* Listings and illustrations
7. Abbreviations used

PART III- SPECIAL STUDIES
8. Trading stamp companies
9. Imbedded series markings
10. Backprints
11. Papers and watermarks
12.* Complimentary and page-size stamps
13. Certificates
14. Accounting security controls
15. Product coupon to stamp exchanges
16. Trading stamp booklets, covers and catalogs
17. Collateral material

* Indicates included in this edition

Only Chapters 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 12 were released for this edition. The bulk of the catalog is Chapter 6.
This edition also had a supplement to Chapter 6 that added over 530 new entries.

The organization of this edition seems to be different from that of the APRL copy, which has 3 volumes that include some introductory chapters and the alphabetical listing.

It may be good to establish how many versions of this catalog may exist, and try to identify the latest and most complete edition.

I agree that an update/supplement to this catalog, with color illustrations, would be a great benefit to the philatelic literature. But it would be a major undertaking.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35842 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coverage Ron,
Thanks for that.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CindyCan2: Thank you for the information! I don't see any difference in your version's TOC than the APRL. The same chapters are included, nothing in addition. I did notice that various chapters have different dates and presume that is when they were completed. This one is in three comb bound volumes. The first is dated June 15, 1997 (253p), second is copyright 1998 (280p) and third copyright 1999 (170p) 703 pages total not including un-printed cover sides. Jim Drummond's copy is 3 hole punched.

After I clear my desk (couple months?) I will begin taking a serious look at updating, continuing or creating a new catalog (with due credit to Art). I'm hip deep in wrapping a few other things up right now but when they are done I can give this the time it deserves to evaluate the path forward. I have started my son on scanning the issues I have and combing the internet for usable (public domain) graphics. If any reader here has graphics/scans they would like to contribute I'll make a call for input and a list of those that I have or need at that time. I have a pretty good start from my own collection but I don't want to waste anyone's time duplicating efforts scanning and sending stuff, before I know for sure what is needed.

Just as I had suspected, the email address on the catalog eventually bounced. I presume it's all long gone but I have been trying to reach out to other Mongan's in the area to see if any are related and might still have his research. I'd be interested to see if there was a draft of chapter 3 which contained a bibliography for instance. Don't know, if I don't ask...

I'll keep everyone here posted as to any thoughts or progress.
Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My copy is also 3-hole punch, but I count about 581 pages. Here's the breakdown of the "Effective pages". Does it differ from the APRL edition?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quick snapshots. Apologies for the quality, my antique (6 year old) cell phone takes crappy photos and the scanner is in the midst of a large task right now...

Part I

Part II

Part III

No separate effective page list in the 3rd volume (Part III)

This is still referred to as a "work in progress" in the Preface.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW: My page count includes blank pages. I just counted sheets, X2 and added printed sides of the covers.
Edited by jconey - 10/05/2021 12:07 pm
Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the scans. This certainly helps in the comparison. I suspect that the difference in page counts is probably due to the "Index" subchapters in Chapter 6, which were published in the APRL (ie earlier versions) of the catalog, but which appear to be absent from the 3-hole version, even though they are mentioned on the "Effective Pages" listing.
Chapter 5 of the 3-hole version has: 1) Introduction and conventions, 2) Known inscribed series users, and 3) Included foreign stamps by country.

Mongan mentions in the Introduction to Chapter 5 (Feb 1 1999) that "Since the catalog was initially released alphabetically by the first letter of the plan name, an index for each letter is inserted prior to the letter's listings in Chapter 6. In future editions, the individual indices will be consolidated in this chapter."

Does the APRL version have the Chapter 6 supplement?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it does have the Supplement. 54 Pages.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35842 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating to read,
like bringing an endangered species, back from the brink.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222, yeah it does feel a little like that doesn't it.
Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. The supplement from my version has only 48 pages, including Intro (1 page, Feb 1, 1999), Index (12 pages, Jan 1, 1999) and Listings (35 pages, Jan 1, 1999).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to scan this set, post it and share it so we can compare. It'll take some time for me or my son to do carefully. This set isn't in bad shape but comb punches can be fragile and these combs already have some broken as the plastic has turned brittle with age.
Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may have noticed that the "Effective Pages" listing in my version doesn't quite reflect what is in the actual catalog. All the "Index" pages from Chapter 6 are missing, and the dates for the Supplement are wrong. I guess Mongan recognized that the catalog was a work in progress, and so added dates to all the versions of each sub-chapter. That will prove to be a great help in establishing the most up-to-date sections of the catalog.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35842 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps, if you scan all pages, you can dispense with the plastic combs, and use a "spring back" binder for protection?

ie using the *.pdf for day to day use, and the binder for storage.

I have a lot of mimeographed monographs stored similarly.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222: I'll have to touch base with APRL before making any changes as they aren't mine, but on loan. That is a good idea though. At the very least, before returning them, I'd like to replace the combs since these have turned brittle.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 1,649Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05