Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trading Stamps Resources

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 1,701Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The .pdf file is also very useful for text searches.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36197 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll have to touch base with APRL before making any changes as they aren't mine, but on loan.

Right, I see.
I have seen comb tools etc, at car boot sales
Not seen the plastic combs, maybe stationers may have them.

I may be adding my own copy to the thread soon
I believe I may be receiving one, the benefactor, I believe wishes not to be identified.

I'll post my observances, if they differ from what has been posted,
and, if it indeed arrives.

Maybe we can share scanning / OCR duties ?
Edited by rod222 - 10/06/2021 11:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
4493 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two questions come to mind:
1. Who currently owns the copyright to this work?
2. Where has Mongan's collection gone?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36197 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, interesting.
I spoke to Arthur back in 2011, and he had an EKKO catalogue in preparation as well, as I recall.

He always signed off "Have fun, Art"
I also had other help from him regarding Cinderellas, but dashed if I can find them.

Edited by rod222 - 10/06/2021 12:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John those are two very good questions. The first, pertaining to permissions I think is covered in part by the copyright notice in the first volume.

I am attempting to find a relative in the area to ask about the disposition of his research materials and collection. No luck so far.
Edited by jconey - 10/06/2021 12:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
also: I have looked for the publisher listed and the "released by" company but find no record of either sofar I presume they were his own (self published) origins.
Valued Member
160 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This might help. Here is the copyright notice from the 1999 draft edition.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's his home address.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
560 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Jconey.

Correct. That was Mr. Mongan' s residential address.

Correct. Catalogue/s were self-published..

Yesterday sent email your way with contact info re possible relatives.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/06/2021   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Calstamp: I just replied to you via email

rod222: I do have the comb binding equipment and combs. I prep small documents for work and presentation printouts often enough I bought it many years ago and the local stationary.office supply stores all carry the supplies.
Edited by jconey - 10/06/2021 4:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/09/2021   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I've called the Mongans listed in Maryland within ~50 air miles of his home, After explaining why I was calling, everyone was very nice however none are related to Art.

I have not been able to find a obituary. I'll keep looking in hope of locating his research notes.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36197 Posts
Posted 10/09/2021   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, I've called the Mongans listed in Maryland within ~50 air miles of his home, After explaining why I was calling, everyone was very nice however none are related to Art.

Well done you.
I can imagine Art will be smiling down on us,
with the thought "keep going", to save his work.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36197 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just received my copy,
It is exactly the same as Cindycan, from a cursory inspection.

Pages 2" thick, unbound 3 punch holes.

Re-packed by Australia Post, contents received in a "wet condition"
All look OK for me, perhaps thick paper parcel protected?

Not sure I can source a 3 hole / tine binder here in Australia, but shall search.

PS: Confirm NO chapter 3

Edited by rod222 - 10/14/2021 05:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222: Thanks for the confirmation. Glad the "wet condition" didn't damage the catalog.

Interesting comment about the 3 hole / tine binder. Do they not use them often down under? They are the de-facto standard here in the states for just about anything but there are a number of other common formats too.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36197 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hijconey,

Quote:
Interesting comment about the 3 hole / tine binder. Do they not use them often down under?

I guess they do! I checked "Officeworks" here, and there are 36 differing 3 ring binders.
Got that horribly wrong.

I have Brusden White Catalogues in Large 4 ring binders, and they are very difficult to handle.
I think the 3 ring binder, and the flimsy pages will be difficult also.
Note to self: Take a page with you when going to Officeworks, check Aussie rings, match page punctures.

So what do we do?
are we going to commit these to OCR digital?
What say the consensus? re copyright?

This work of over 1000 pages, must surely require OCR to locate obscure Trading stamps
A very big job, unless we work together.

Here some labels from the Aust Post repacking
I have left out a QR code label, in case it has personal details

Can anybody read Aust Post QR Codes

I am submitting these to my Cinderella Club, as new types of Ephemera perhaps.

Edited by rod222 - 10/14/2021 10:44 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 1,701Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05