Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trading Stamps Resources

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 1,294Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   04:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Taking a page with you is recommended. It seems to work the other way round where holes are punched too small for available rings. Large holes with plenty of slop seems to best.

RE: OCR copying. I don't think it's a problem if it's for personal use. So if all the scanners are those who own the work, no problems, I would say. The size of a job like this shouldn't be too terrible once housed in a binder and you can use a book scanner.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222: I have already scanned and OCR'd this copy of the catalog. In this case, with the copy write as presented in the catalog, I do not believe there is an issue since I do not intend to re-distribute the catalog as-is. After evaluating the project, I looking to possibly continue the work. I won't start in earnest until after the holidays as I have a couple large projects to get off my desk first. One is a work project, the other personal.

After these are off my plate I can take the time to look into the scope and requirements of doing this and we're through Christmas/New Years, I can dedicate the time it's due to properly evaluate and develop a plan of attack. At that time I'll also parse the scanned catalog into MS Excel to prep the data for a database.

In the mean time my son, who does most of my scanning these days, will also help me with hi-res scans of the issues that I have and search for public domain graphics on the web.

When I start to evaluate the project, some of the things I'll be looking at are the organization of materials, updating all graphics, range and depth of the data included - for example I'd like to see more date or date range for issues and more information about the overprints. Additional information pertaining to the companies that produced them and the companies that issued them, etc. I have other items in mind but don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Art's comment about this being a cold trail is right. For something so common, there's little information readily available in cursory searches. So we'll see what additional information is available.

I still have not given up hope of finding Art's notes but as time passes postmortem, the likelihood diminishes. He might have had a lot of what I am thinking about in his notes, or leads to it.

Regardless of what form an update or new catalog (paper and or digital) may take Art's work will be credited.

I might set up a share to upload my scans to and invite others with a copy to review and compare. Since individual sections were dated it would be nice to make sure the most recent sections are used as a starting point.

Note Added: My Copy is three volumes and 703 pages.
Edited by jconey - 10/15/2021 08:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 10/16/2021   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might send out a query to the APRL to see if they have any info on Art's death and what hapened to his estate.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33621 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I might set up a share to upload my scans to and invite others with a copy to review and compare.

Here's hoping
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 1,294Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05