Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Harding Stamp - Experts Opinion Needed?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,168Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jackpot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone need opinion on Harding stamp again pictures show instructions on site what's you guys take on it Thank You. theswedishtiger.com

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
***Title Updated***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6824 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have any specific questions?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1. It is a Harding stamp.
2. It is a flat-plate printing.
3. It is not appropriate to use one Bureau Issue (the Franklin stamp) to determine if a different Bureau Issue (the Harding stamp) is flat-plate or rotary press.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Yes

2. The flat plate stamps measure 19-1/4mm X 22-1/4mm. The rotary are 19-1/4mm X 22-1/2mm. I use a Precision US Specialty Multi-gauge but any finely graduated rule may work (with a magnifying glass if needed) or digital caliper can also come in handy,

3. No it's not generally done, at least I don't think so, I don't myself. But if the measurements in question are exactly the same I don't see why you couldn't....
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My question is are these the 610 or 613 the website I posted the 610 page at the bottom said to cut all four corners of the Franklin stamp and you would be able to tell but I did post measurements pictures b4 on here about to send them to get certified but I want to be sure of what Harding stamps are they 610 or 613
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the intellect and feed back every one.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6824 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How can you tell rogdcam and the even worth seeing them out for certifying
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6824 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The setoff on the back says flat plate. The odds against this block were tremendous anyway. Think lightning strike while hitting the lottery at the same time. Always assume you have the most common stamp to start with. No, there is no reason to certify this block.

Edit to add: Trying to measure designs by the mm is a fools errand.
Edited by rogdcam - 09/27/2021 12:15 am
United States
1 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add h2osho to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not once did anyone ask what the perfs were? If it was perf 11 it was a #610 and if it was perf 10 it was a #612. Rule #2 - determine the perfs. Rule #1 determine the design.

We know by looking at it, it's either #610 or #612 and perfs would tell you the answer other than quickly looking at the back to see if there was ink from a flat plate that would quickly mean it's a #610.

There's only some 45 known #613's in the WORLD....it's not these.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6824 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did not have to ask. I can see from the scan the stamps are perf 11.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   03:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam is correct ... you can see from the scan that these stamps are perf 11 rather than perf 10. The great majority of the U.S. definitive stamp designs of the era (or pretty much any other era, for that matter) are 19-20 mm in width. Since the perf gauge is the number of perforations over a distance of 2cm (or 20mm), one only need count the number of perforations along a horizontal edge. Now if 10.5 had been an option, I probably wouldn't trust my ability to discern the gauge by counting ... but judging between 10 & 11 is easy.
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone but some research indicated some 613 you will see some spots of ink from sinking through but not as much as the 610 flat would have do to the laying on top of one another before the ink could dry they definitely 11 perf
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More clear pictures

Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... some research indicated...

Please cite a source for this, thank you.

At some point no amount of information, insight and experience we can provide here will convince you that you have a 610, despite many decades of combined collecting knowledge by those who have replied to your thread. At that point we tend to give up and encourage you to waste your money and send it away for a certificate. And to report the results back to us. But why would you believe a certifying organization either when they contradict what you want to believe? Sigh.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7563 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,168Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05