Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mangled, Tattered, And Torn. But I Think It's Beautiful!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 295Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   10:03 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
... not to mention rare.

Documents from the U.S. Civil War era that feature both U.S. revenue stamps and revenue stamps/imprints from other countries are quite scarce, and depending on the countries in question, outright rare.

I stumbled across this document on eBay where it had sat for over 3 months, in a category revenue collectors wouldn't have normally looked, being sold by a seller in Spain, with no reference in the title about there being U.S. revenue stamps affixed.

It is beat to heck and back, and just taking it out of its holder to try and scan it gave me heart palpitations; given the (effectively) tissue paper it's printed on, I'm surprised it still exists.

It's a sister (sequentially numbered in fact) to one featured by Mike Mahler in his incredible current 40-page exhibit "Once Was Not Enough: Multiple Taxation on Documents of the U.S. Civil War Tax Era, 18621883", and the specifics about the transaction and rates come from him:

An 1863 first bill of exchange, Havana Cuba, drawn on a party in New York, in the amount of $1,400. Taxed 14 cents (short-lived Inland Exchange 1863 rate of 2c per $200), with Cuba 1 escudo Giro ('Draft') tax paid in 1868 to ensure legality in a long-running legal action.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're right, this is a great piece, tattered or not. I don't have a need for everything to be in pristine condition to appreciate it. Some collectors scoff at some of the things I have but for me it depends on the piece. The older an item is, the more forgiving I am. This one is definitely a treasure.

Congratulation on the find.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
244 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure many here (myself included) would have no idea as to this piece; it's significance, or how to value.
Experience, in your case, being the key as to what is being seen. Interesting how you chanced upon it.

You said was out for three months. Was it in auction, bin, make offer?
Did the seller have similar, or was this a single of it's category, mislabeled?

Sorry for so many questions, but it's interesting to hear other peoples treasure finding stories.
Thanks,
Pat
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   6:19 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You said was out for three months. Was it in auction, bin, make offer?
Did the seller have similar, or was this a single of it's category, mislabeled?

Buy It Now listing. Seller had numerous documents, but almost all listings were European revenue stamp usages. It wasn't mislabeled per se; it's just that revenue stamp usage is not the emphasis of this seller, the documents themselves are.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 295Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05