Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Merchant Stamps Bring Back Memories

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 656Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1563 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   7:42 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I didn't know people collected these, but I remember the S&H Green Stamps.

The collection has 15 pages and I'll upload the rest if requested.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1662 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Believe it or not, there is a catalog that lists and illustrates most of the known examples of these types of stamps.

It is unfortunately very difficult to find. It is called Deposit, Rebate, Savings & Trading Stamps, by Arthur Mongan.

A very limited number of catalogs were printed in 1999.

Jim
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous thread

Quote:
The collection has 15 pages and I'll upload the rest if requested.

Yes please! Rare and valuable information to the collector of these labels.
Thank you for posting the pages thus far.
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   8:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is unfortunately very difficult to find. It is called Deposit, Rebate, Savings & Trading Stamps, by Arthur Mongan.

A very limited number of catalogs were printed in 1999.

Good point, I hope authors and publishers now understand that hard copy printing costly small runs of specialized catalogs is not the best approach to use if they want their efforts to help promote the specialty and/or have many people benefit from their significant efforts. I am not even sure that it is even profitable but it almost certainly guarantees that the effort will fade into obscurity.

Digital publishing offers exponentially greater reach and likelihood of keeping your work in front of hobbyists for decades to come (which grows the specialty). I also think that it actually can also reduce the likelihood of theft since the odds of a out-of-print short run hard copy being scanned and traded under the radar increases.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1563 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the rest of it.

Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you, Ken, for posting this material.

Very interesting selection of material. Am impressed with the breadth of secondary and tertiary varieties.

Obviously someone put a lot of effort into this collection.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4482 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta have a copy? Abe Books has the catalog for a price of $100. Arthur Mongan.

http://goscf.com/t/21400
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1662 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Abe Books has the catalog for a price of $100. Arthur Mongan.

Just saying, that Art was 94 the last time that I talked to him, in 2019.

So a reprint of his catalog, let alone a second edition, is probably, umm, unlikely.

The copy that I have is one of the most treasured books in my library.

Jim
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, many thanks Ken.
Shall be a "go to" thread on SCF henceforth.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great screenshots, thank you.

See: http://goscf.com/t/78643

Trading Stamps Resources for more info on Art and the catalog.
Valued Member
378 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! Thank you for posting.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add APS-ISWSC Member to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive! Thanks!! Had no idea there were this many different retailers offering trading stamps, was only aware of a few ...
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ken, for sharing these pages with us. They bring back good memories from long ago.

As a child, one of my "chores" was to lick these stamps into their books for my mother. I licked many S & H green stamps that gas stations gave out, and also the Regal stamps that were gold and black. On page 11 of this collection, you have a block of 4 of blue Regal stamps, which I have never seen before, but the single gold and black Regal stamp below it, those are the ones I licked to fill many books. They were obtained at Hy Vee grocery stores, out of Chariton, Iowa, USA, a small chain of stores throughout Iowa. Today, HyVee has grown into a strong company with stores in several states. I hadn't seen one of those stamps for decades. Thanks again.

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My mother and grandmothers also collected, among others, S&H Green Stamps. As a little kid, I was always intrigued by the dispenser at the store which to me looked like a huge phone dial.
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jconey

That is cool...I remember those dispensers as well.

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 09/29/2021   08:25 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Growing up on a poverty-level income, we did anything we could to make ends meet, from growing produce and doing our own canning/bottling, to extensive use of newspaper coupons and S&H green stamps... oh those S&H green stamps. ACME Markets was the grocery chain we frequented, and woe betide me if I didn't come back with green stamps with every purchase.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 656Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05