Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Scott Offer Blank Pages Without A Border?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 477Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
68 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dbuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does Scott make blank pages without a border for the specialized page size? I am looking for blank pages punched for both 3-ring and 2-post binders.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In a word, no.

What are your needs? I'm assuming you need more than a few and/or want to do your own page design.

Then it would be useful to seek out a specialty paper store where you can buy by the ream and not a whole pallet load. They should have papers that are hopefully archival and that can be trimmed to Specialty album size; see if a well-equipped local printer can do this for you. Fair warning: you may not be able to find paper that matches Scott page color and weight exactly.

You'll need a special punch for the two post albums but solutions are given at the end of the thread here:
http://goscf.com/t/78563

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3151 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   06:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I was searching for album paper, I discovered one key aspect of Scott paper is its smoothness.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   07:17 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Old John always bet on Gillette, I suppose. When Dauwalders moved to coated paper, my ink smudges grew even worse.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your best bet might be to find the paper that suits your need in 11x17 and then have a local shop cut it down to spec for you. Kinko's here in Hagerstown use to do it cheaply with a guillotine. They would even punch it for you but it's been years since I needed anything like that done and I can't recall the cost. Most any regular print shop should have the capability. Donno about the rectangular holes for 2-post but it's worth a call or two.
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   2:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paper coating can also become acidic over time. Good luck on finding any information on these coatings, I assume that this is considered proprietary info by the manufacturers.

Getting information paper is virtually impossible and I am beginning to doubt if these paper manufacturers do not do any real aging testing on their paper.

One would think that stamp album manufacturers would seek to publish and promote the quality of their paper but I guess as long as we keep buying their products there is no need to and they can reply upon odd page sizes and weird hole spacing/punches to keep market share.
Don
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going to ask this of the OP, and I know it may seem rude, contrary to my intention: are you looking for this size 1) as an academic exercise, or 2) because you knew or believed Scott once did offer this, or 3) because you either inherited or grew a collection with this size and are for any number of reasons unwilling or unable to leave this format?

Over twenty years ago, when I took over my father's collection, I spent a long time surveying the market for pages and binders that suited the existing collection and my vision for future pursuits, before I moved everything over. It's totally paid off with a huge reduction in aggravation. Don't others do the same thing?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic_Paper: You bring up a good point/issue. When I was first investigating printing my own many years ago, I was enamored with Scott's slightly larger format for two reasons #1 it matched the full pane pages that I had. I thought it would be great to integrate the full panes in my main binders. and #2 it gave extra leeway for covers. I also really liked the specialty border.

After doing some calculations, I soon realized the amount of extra work and cost wasn't worth it and I stuck with the 8.5 x 11 format. I just keep the full panes in separate binders with a notation in my regular albums denoting the full pane and in some cases the full press sheet. In my case, I didn't have a large portion of holdings on Scott pages to begin with, many were already on 8.5 x 11.
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   4:28 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion and to some extent, paper and page decisions are dictated by the scope of the stamps to be collected. For example, I cannot image the cost involved in printing your own US precancels pages on true archival paper. The paper and ink cost would be extreme to print out a true family heirloom album on quality paper and span many, many volumes.

Some collections lend themselves to stock pages (i.e. Vario) due to the frequency of rearranging/adding/removing stamps from the collection. Printed pages do not make much sense in some cases.

And their are some collectors who are 'thrifty' and/or do not place a priority on stewardship practices. For them, "cheaping out" on the paper is acceptable and leaves them more money to spend on stamps.

Whatever approach(s) is used, our hobby should support them all. More paper info https://stampsmarter.org/learning/H...sePaper.html

Don
Pillar Of The Community
1025 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To answer dbuss' question, no, Scott does not make all-blank paper, but I recall that they did at one time, or at least I think they did. The best way to find out is to call or write them. They'd be the ones to know.

Subway Stamp Shop used to sell paper in Scott sizes, as well. Not sure if they have "all blank" paper. If so, that may be the paper I remember as the Scott paper.

There is a source I've used for all-blank (no border) album pages in Scott sizes for both (a) Specialty/National and (b) International albums as well as the old Minkus albums.

http://www.albumpages.net/

These pages have no borders. You can print your own bordered pages on them or leave them without any borders, as you wish. If you do the printing, you'll either need a "wide-bed" printer to fit the paper or you can print from a photocopy machine at a place like Fedex which I've done many times. You'd set the machine to "Custom" size paper which you'd load in the special hopper on the machine. I've had very good luck with this.

This particular vendor's paper isn't an exact match for the color of Scott pages. It's whiter, not the nice creamy slightly yellow-white Scott uses. But I've mixed Scott pages and these pages in the same album a few times without a problem. As you turn the pages the difference in shades isn't so obvious. But it might drive a compulsive person nuts. Or you can print an entire album on this paper so it all matches.

The paper quality is good. I don't notice any cheapness about it.

Hole-punching on these pages is "either" two square posts or three-ring, but not both, as Scott does. I prefer it that way, myself, because the extra unused holes on each Scott page are superfluous and not so attractive.

Cost is about 25-30 a sheet plus shipping.

He can also print Steiner page layouts on the same paper (He's authorized to do this), so you don't have to do the printing yourself if that appeals to you.

Good luck.
Edited by DrewM - 09/28/2021 11:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6828 Posts
Posted 09/29/2021   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
G&K used to market blank Scott pages. Not sure if they still do.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 09/29/2021   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam, who ts G&K? In this neck of the woods they are a uniform service

Peter
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
Posted 09/29/2021   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter,

G & K is a brand produced by Subway Stamp.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 09/29/2021   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dale,

Peter
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dbuss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding DrewM's post: After I posted my initial question about borderless Scott pages I recalled that Richard Simpson stocks these pages. Indeed, they are slightly paler in color compared to the Scott pages but they work for me. I placed an order for both 3-hole and 2-post pages. He cannot provide a combination of both on a single page, but they are reasonably priced at 25 cents per page.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3151 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This seems to be an opportunity for a group buy. I doubt Amos Publishing would entertain such a proposal thinking it would hurt their sales but suspect this is not that high.

You just order Scott pages and say "hold the printing".

They sell blank Scott country pages for $17.84 for 20 (.89 cents each) and Schaubek all blank for $12 for 50 sheets so 24 cents each.

For the blank Scott country pages, the overhead for stiffener, shrink wrap, spoilage, overhead, and handling for setup must be a significant part of the cost to spread over 20 sheets. Of course, profit is in there too.

Al
Edited by angore - 10/03/2021 08:31 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 477Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05