Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions On This US Scott E7

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 429Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add moneil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One of the things that surprised me when I joined SCF 3 or 4 years ago were all the posts about fakes and repairs, I had no idea this happened (and still wouldn't know how to spot them).

There is a current listing on eBay for U.S. E7 Special Delivery, Helmet of Mercury and Olive Branch design, MNH OG. The 2022 Scott Volume 1A lists this stamp at $65.00 new, $50.00 used, and $144.00 never hinged. The seller started bidding at $0.01 and it is currently at $1.25 with 2 bids. Other copies of this stamp on eBay are started or BIN priced MUCH higher.

The front and back scans are below. Depending on how the auction ultimately ends, this may be an incredible buying opportunity, or there is an issue with the stamp (fake?, regumed?, reperfed?). For my education I'm asking what others think. Thank you.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks ok. A lot of ads on eBay start out low and don't move right away because a lot of people wait until the ad's ending in hopes of getting the item cheaper or by sniping at the end. Wait until an hour before it ends and see what it is. It still has 3 days to go at this time.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oftentimes, on eBay roughly 90% of the bids on a low-start item occur in the last 5 minutes of the auction. The stamp looks fine to me, although a regum can be hard to see in a single photo. I've got no reason to think this is a regum, though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
739 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a CKstamps listing.

If you got to the SCF search and enter "ckstamps" in the upper (google) search choice you will find many threads about this seller.

This one is first but a few years old. It has good info though

http://goscf.com/t/36178&whichpage=1

As to the OP, it looks good from here.
Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it me or do the perforation bridges between the holes along the top have irregular widths? Some narrow and pointy, while some are wide, like the holes are slightly larger and unevenly spaced. The other sides are quite regular.

Add:

Quote:
The 2022 Scott Volume 1A lists this stamp at $65.00 new, $50.00 used, and $144.00 never hinged.

Which is for VF-80, which this stamp is not even close to that. Using the "Specialized by Grade" section of the catalog provides values for F-70 which are closer to this stamp.
Edited by John Becker - 09/27/2021 5:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6828 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As to the question of whether or not the stamp is MNH no one can make a pronouncement based upon a scan. Back scans are not that valuable. The gum could be original MNH or it could be sweated, redistributed, disturbed in some other way etc..

Know who you are dealing with and buy from a trusted source that you have built a relationship with.

Do not let scoring a "deal" blind you to reality. Quality costs money and good material finds it's own price level.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
739 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it me or do the perforation bridges between the holes along the top have irregular widths?

Perhaps someone can post a cut and paste top and bottom perf comparison.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 429Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05