Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Like The USPS Isn't Slow Enough In Some Cases.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 739Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   3:58 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.westernjournal.com/usps...4a273ac2b11c

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   4:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my chair this has nothing to do with the USPS and everything to do with Congressional control of the USPS. And given the fact that we keep voting the same people back into office, ultimately we get the government (and government services) we deserve. In my opinion if we want change, then we need;
- Term limitations on all elected public servants
- Good vetting of all public servants
- End or severely limit campaign contributions from private sector donors, no loopholes
- End lobbyists, super PACS, dark money influence on elected public servants, no loop holes
- Rigid control on public servant income guidelines while serving and after serving, no loop holes
- Restore discussion, debate, compromise and consensus in government

Or we can just keep dealing with poor USPS service when it is Congress that controls the USPS purse strings. 50% of the top 15 wealthiest counties in the US are those around Washington DC. The USPS is not broken, but Washington DC sure is.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
580 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another point, is that many people have somehow been convinced that there needs to be a profit motive around the post office's activities. My belief is this is false. There is a lot of fat, in the way of pensions and problematic policy there, but the expectation should not be to run it as a business. Taxpayer money should flow in, as should revenue the PO generates flow out. Noone asks for the pentagon for a ROI.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7119 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You cannot compare national defense to moving the mail. Sorry.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
580 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was being flippant, take HUD, OSHA, or Education, or any other executive branch dept, and explain why they need to be profitable. Value to the citizenry is what we are really talking about. Can there be a ton of reform in mail... of course. Innovation, drones, robotics, etc. A PO for the future.

But striving for excellence appears to be a lost national goal... we get less frequent smaller boxes and higher costs.

Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are right Rodgcam. Defense is one of the big 4 that comprise 80% of all Federal spending, USPS is an afterthought. Literally. USPS was privatized to make the defecit appear smaller, ( at the same time we made SS a general fund obligation as they were running huge surpluses). The question is, is USPS critical infrastructure. Is it worth having?
As Americans we all want everything...unless we have to pay for it.
Personally I think USPS is a bargain, I still send Xmas cards, send letter to my family, send checks for everything and take increases in postal rates as a cost of doing business.
Critical thinking on my part.
Regards m
This is a reality, not a political polemic.
Edited for clarity
Edited by GMC89 - 10/01/2021 5:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7119 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They should just tack on a couple of hundred bullion for the USPS in the 3.5 trillion (really projected to cost 5-6 trillion dollar) Bill Congress is "working" on at the moment. It can never be paid for but who cares. Right? There is 3 billion in the Bill for low-income neighborhood tree planting. Surely we can have "free" mail.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No offense Rodgcam, that was political.
Regards m

And it's more like ten billion or so.
Edited for clarity
Edited by GMC89 - 10/01/2021 6:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7119 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No offense taken. Not sure how it was political. It was certainly not partisan. Everything I said was factual. This is where we are now. Speech is stifled. Just yell "politics" and everything falls apart. So sad.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp community forum,
Focus on USPS and stamps.
In my opinion.
Regards Rodgcam, m
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
580 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What was truly scary about this go 'round for me, was that there were people in some circles who thought defaulting was an actual option. This should be an awakening for folks not realizing that the faith and credit in the US has entered into a new phase where people think default is actually a doable option.

Things have to change, where it cannot be a default OR ceiling raising event as the only ways forward. Tough decisions need to be made before these deadlines, but much like a corporate restructure or turnaround, a new path forward has to be be found. The question is will the US be more like Sears or Apple in the next few decades. Can it reinvent itself. Leadership is everything, and I think both the Dems and Republicans have it wrong and it's all about power, self interest, and corruption on both sides.

I do want to avoid political discussion and sway towards post office/stamp specific stuff. Is the post office worth having? That's like saying get rid of libraries and give people kindles. Get rid of schools and point them to youtube videos to learn algebra. Charging people for using public transit is acceptable.

If the post office and its inefficiencies, purpose, and approach are misguided, let's fix those and make it the best possible institution, one that the country is proud of, where the people who work there are happy, and people like going there to buy stamps.

I'm sorry...I have kids, and I want their future to be better than ours.
Edited by rismoney - 10/01/2021 6:25 pm
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   6:28 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#1 - It is obvious that a discussion about USPS will often include 'politics'.
#2 - There is no forum rule against discussing politics but since our history is that we end up with personal attacks (which are against the rules) we (the staff) avoid partisan politics posts. We moderate it this way to head off the inevitable personal attacks and time sucking drama.
#3 - Unless you are on staff, there is no need to publicly weigh in on what is and is not within the rules or how the forum is moderated. If folks would like to discuss this, they can message the staff.

In my opinion our hobby, being so closely tied to history, should fully understand the divisiveness that can currently be found in the public spaces. We should know better than to fall for divisive tactics and know what happens when leaders and media use these kinds of strategies. Good leaders bring people together, good journalism should be a check and balance for those in power. If we demanded this, instead of letting ourselves be divided into 'us' and 'them', we would all be better off.
Don
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, in my reading of political leaders, first and foremost they were leaders. I have read 6 or 7 biographies on Lincolm and he is a enigma, but Washington, Trumam, Hamilton, Jefferson, Maddison to name a few are pretty straightforward. This is not the most divisive time in our history.
We think it is cause we are here now.
One thing, I have read the Constitution 4 times in the last month or so as I slogged through " Hamilton "
Easy read 30 minutes at most, I recommend it to all Americans.
You run a great forum, thanks.

Regards m
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO: The USPS initial 1971 Charter was for a break-even proposition & no Congressional funding (with some few exceptions). When the Congress voted to 'penalize the USPS for Health Care premiums to the tune of $5Billion a year it was to extract $$$ from a then profitable quasi-government entity to reduce their budget deficit. The Congress can help by eliminating the 'tax' on the USPS. The USPS went from a losing proposition to a profit making entity in just over 10 years from their inception & re-invested those profits back into the operations & facilities. Since the law of upfront health benefits payment, USPS has been losing $$. (& Yes I understand that the USPS has been in arrears on that payment for several years.)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Were some posts removed from the thread? It seemed to have jumped into a political discussion. There is a reference to facts in posts but just see opinions. The USPS is a political football and just the basic existence is a political issue that cannot be resolved.

I am all for raising rates, removing the health cost burden, but think slowing down mail without offering a premium to pay for air is a mistake. This could include mail to Hawaii and Alaska.

My concern is if DeJoy thinks they should raise rates to whatever the market will bare especially for packages as if leaving money on the table is bad business as opposed to pricing to just cover costs. Efficiencies are needed.

The USPS has never shared detailed costs but even then these can be manipulated by how costs are allocated (spread the peanut butter as we said in our company) so we never know what is really losing money.

Al
Edited by angore - 10/03/2021 08:07 am
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   08:46 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was one post removed from GMC here

I removed it because it did what I asked folks not do in the post above it. This was not GMC's fault, he posted it seconds after I made my post and GMC quickly re-posted clarifying his opinion.

I try hard to not remove posts since they tend to break the threads and I disagree with cancel culture mentality. My first option for political threads is to move or split the thread into the 'General' category since this is an 'opt in' category and I assume that folks have decided to opt in to non-philatelic discussions.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 739Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05