Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Like The USPS Isn't Slow Enough In Some Cases.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 734Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5308 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   10:56 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never understood why the USPS is treated as a "private company that isn't", i.e., it doesn't receive any direct funding from the Federal government, yet at the same time is subject to Congressional oversight and whim. Logically, in my opinion it should EITHER be allowed to operate as a private company not subject to oversight, or as part of the government and directly funded as such. This "splitting the baby" approach isn't viable (see healthcare prefunding requirement).

I see people (not necessarily here) comparing USPS to FEdEx and UPS in terms of profitability, yet those companies are not subject to the same constraints as the USPS. They don't have the same burdens. It's an apples and oranges comparison IMO.

Add to all of the above the "last mile" delivery requirement where USPS incurs the most expensive component of FedEx and UPS delivery in many areas of the country. How is that fair? Agreements the U.S. government has made with Asian countries where inbound shipments are handled by USPS for pennies on the dollar (which has negative ramifications not only for the USPS but also U.S. businesses and sellers that simply cannot compete with Asian shippers due to their ultra-low shipping expenses).

The current composition of the USPS as an entity is just utterly illogical IMO.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That was my fault, I did take the discussion far afield into my opinion. I apologize, and do reiterate my thought that the moderators here run a great forum. Thanks Don.
Regards m
Posted before revenue collectors comment
Edited for clarity
Edited by GMC89 - 10/03/2021 11:01 am
Learn More...
9903 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   12:23 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the USPS and FedEx are apples and oranges.

The USPS lists the "TOP THIRTEEN THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE" and the #1 item on the list is "The Postal Service generally receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations." And #5 is "Competition and collaboration. The Postal Service both competes and collaborates with the private sector." While both 'true' it is also true that the USPS is given a monopoly on delivering mail to each household in the USA. The USPS also receives a significant competitive advantage in not having to pay excise (like the federal tax on fuel) and many other taxes that FedEx and for-profit companies do not get to avoid.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7111 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS also does not have to purchase vehicles or facilities out of it's revenue. HUGE items.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Capex is fully deductible so I'm not sure that vehicles/ facilities is a HUGE item.
I was having fun with you Rodgcam, so I want to apologize if I offended. Paid taxes are also deductible, unless you have a tax free card." Present at purchase."
Deductions are what allow farmers to lose money on a crop, but make money on the year.Revenuecollector you are spot on. Last mile is actually a moneymaker for USPS, unless they run on Sunday as I understand.
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7111 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Capex is fully deductible so I'm not sure that vehicles/ facilities is a HUGE item.

Quote:
I was having fun with you Rodgcam, so I want to apologize if I offended.

Not in the least.

Quote:
DeductionsSubsidies are what allow farmers to lose money on a crop, but make money on the year.

I know the farming business intimately and even with the subsidies you will be hard pressed to find non-corporate farmers that make much money at the end even with subsidies. Nothing new. Most that are left are land rich and cash poor.

Quote:
Last mile is actually a moneymaker for USPS, unless they run on Sunday as I understand.

Not really.

https://reason.org/commentary/last-...vate-sector/
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rodgcam
I was a farm adviser for 40 years or so and am also knowledgable of the farming and farm economy.
Now is a great time with corn over 5.00 and yields large. I was speaking with a former client earlier today, 197 bushels per acre. Small farmer. Eastern shore of Md.
With last mile they are going there anyway, intuitive that it's not costing additional.
Perhaps lm wrong. One thing, I spent two hours looking at FDX, think I might buy some. Thanks.
Regards m

Just saw it; CAPEX is capital expenditures. Regards m

Ever since I read that Don checks all the links, I am more at ease at opening links. Generally speaking, I never open any link including here.. I only have about 8 sites I visit, this being one of them. I did not open your link.
Sorry Rodgcam, just saw this. I was in a hurry to get a shower. Subsidies are what FSA allows, deductions are what IRS allows, two different animals. Both are lucrative.
Regards m
Edited by GMC89 - 10/03/2021 5:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7111 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those interested in farm income read the latest USDA report:

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/far...me-forecast/

I am moving on back to stamps!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 734Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05