Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question On Netherlands Colonies Postage Due Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 459Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1116 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   06:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mobilman44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been transferring Netherlands colony stamps from Scott to Steiner pages. In the process I've found I had "mixed up" the early postage due stamps as they are all of the same type image. After studying the Scott Catalogue I came to the conclusion that the main difference was color.

It looks like the stamps from Antilles/Curacao are green, the Indies are red, Suriname/New Guinea are lilac, and the Netherlands are light blue.

Of course there are many varieties within each country, but from what I gather, getting the postage due stamps applied to the correct country begins with the stamp color.

Am I off base here, missing something, or ?

Thank you!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1265 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just about. The colours are the clue. But Dutch Guyana (Suriname) and Dutch New Guinea are two different territories. Dutch New Guinea are red stamps, continuing the Dutch Indies colour. There are a few exceptions to these colours, but those of the same design differ in colour.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1074 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issues of the early postage due stamps are further divided into 3 or 4 types, with sometimes significant value differences, but that may be further down the rabbit hole than you wish to go... The NVPH catalogue is the go-to resource for those types.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And we won't even go in to perforations... My Netherlands collection has a bunch of nearly empty pages of the dues.
Valued Member
Canada
173 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They even share the same plate flaws.

There are a couple of exceptions/difficulties:

J1 (5ct brown) Netherlands vs J3(5ct ochre) Netherlands Indies. Note that they differ in perforation.

J71 (1g vermillion) Netherlands vs J42 (1g blue Netherlands Indies) Note that the colours are switched. Also J42 (1g salmon Netherlands Indies) quite similar to J71 Netherlands.

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1116 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   06:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mobilman44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all!
I knew I was getting a bit over my head when I started working these. But, I've pretty well got them sorted - properly I hope.
Question......what is the NVPH ?

Thanks again!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1074 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NVPH is the name of the association that publishes the Netherlands & colonies specialized catalogue annually - Speciale Catalogus Postzegels van Nederland en Overzee Gibieden - which name is a mouthful, so the catalogue is usually just called the NVPH. In Dutch, a great resource for anyone interested in diving into those stamps.

~Greg
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2049 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would offer a couple of comments about the NVPH catalog. First, the Netherlands listings are MUCH more specialized than the listings for the Colonies. I know there have to be many more shades and papers than listed as there are virtually none noted, but it seems that the varieties are limited to perf varieties. This is the case at least for earlier 20th century stamps. Makes me wonder if Michel or Yvert have some specialized listings for Netherlands Colonies?

Second, given that the catalog is produced by the dealer's association in the Netherlands, pricing is much higher than Scott's. The differential between hinged and NH material is quite large, sometimes by a factor of 4x. This may be justified, I just don't have anything to compare to as Scott's has not offered pricing guidelines for most of the NH material for the Colonies. The good news is that dealers discount pretty heavily from NVPH guidelines, but I still feel that the catalog helps to bolster prices somewhat artificially.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1074 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm currently working through a lot of early Netherlands Antilles (Curacao) and agree with those comments. I've run across some pretty wide shade variation in the first issues not mentioned in NVPH. Michel and Yvert may have editions with more, but not that I've seen - I have both the Yvert & Michel classic specialized and they have less detail than NVPH - for both the colonies and Netherlands itself.

So far, didn't think the pricing was too off Scott for MH/used (around 30% higher, which is typical for European catalogues I find), but yes the MNH premium is steep. Perhaps the Dutch market is similar to the German, where not hinged carries a very high premium.

~Greg

Valued Member
Canada
173 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know of any catalogue that discusses colour varieties of Netherlands and colonies in great detail, particularly for the 20th century issues.

I found a few scattered references in "Manual of the Stamps of Netherlands, Netherlands Indies, Curacao and Surinam" by Schiller and de Kruyf (1940) and in "A Postal History of Curacao" by Julsen and Benders (1976). More than the NVPH catalogue, but not comprehensive.

Jan
Valued Member
Canada
173 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did a little more digging.

The 1965 edition of the NVPH catalogue does list a fair number of colour variants for the colonies, as does my 1936 (pre NVPH) catalogue.

Neither lists any colour variants for the first issue of Curacao, but the latter does contain the (translated) sentence: "The darker colours come from the first printing."

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2049 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that Netherlands collectors are similar to German collectors when it comes to NH. As far as shades and papers, Netherlands survived 2 world wars while maintaining and supplying their Colonies, so many printings must exist.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1074 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - the darker shades for first printing comment is helpful - fits with the stamps I have, as NVPH gives printing years for the various perfs of that issue.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7771 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
>>>>>As far as shades and papers, Netherlands survived 2 world wars while maintaining and supplying their Colonies, so many printings must exist.<<<<<

Not really a totally correct statement. The Netherlands went only through WWII - In the first one their neutrality was more or less respected. In WWII they did not maintain stamp production very well - that is why different local printers and even the American Banknote Company were used.

Peter
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 459Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05