Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Showgard Mount For Scott 2724-30 Strip?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 712Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BrownstownSoul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I'd like to mount Scott 2724-30 in a White Ace album with a Showgard mount. This is a long strip of stamps, 41 mm wide and longer than a standard Showgard mount. Unfortunately, I don't think Showgard sells an oversized 41 mount.

What's the best solution here? An oversized 46 is a bit big for the space provided. If I trim a few millimeters from the 46 so it better fits the space, it may look crooked. (I use black backgrounds, which aren't forgiving.)

Showgard's size guide isn't much help. They say "41" with an asterisk.

Anyway: I welcome suggestions for how to handle this.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8504 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Won't a 215mm long 41mm strip work?

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/sh...86226_u_c___
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rogdcam - 10/02/2021 9:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1349 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you use a mount cutter it should not be or look crooked. Before mounting, use your straightedge to the bottom of the mount, check it for square; and when you stick mount to page it should not be crooked.
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/02/2021 9:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3435 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The issue with not having the perfect size mount is why I use clear mounts for most everything. It is far more forgiving in appearance for less than perfect mount size and cutting.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1349 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore, The clear mounts are forgiving, but I personally like them for printed album pages using a box outline as well as allowing the printed image to show if the stamps are removed from their positions.
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/03/2021 9:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrownstownSoul to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you use a mount cutter it should not be or look crooked. Before mounting, use your straightedge to the bottom of the mount, check it for square; and when you stick mount to page it should not be crooked.

My mount cutter is not as long as this piece, so it may take me a few tries to get this right. Or, perhaps I could (for this piece) shift to a clear mount.

To rogdcam's question, the piece I have in mind is an eight-stamp vertical strip (a booklet pane, I guess). Like this:

So it's definitely longer than 215 mm.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8504 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Showgard makes long 265mm strips in the size you need. Just Google it or go to Wizard.

https://www.globalstamps.com/scott
Edited by rogdcam - 10/04/2021 2:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrownstownSoul to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An update on this. I found that the Showgard 260 x 40 mount -- originally created for the 1973 postal workers strips, I believe -- worked for this piece.

Thanks for the thoughts and tips, everyone.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 712Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05